Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***** Target Bows *****

Bow Walker Guest

Re: ***** Target Bows *****

Most "target" bows do have a longer A2A, as compared with "hunting" bows. Target bows also have more mass to them - the thinking being that it's easier to hold bigger heavier bows a lot steadier than lighter shorter ones.

Also - target shooters use lighter arrow set-ups and gain a wack of speed that way. They typically shoot 60 lbs or better and with the lighter arrows, they attain speeds in excess of 300 fps on a regular basis.

Makes for close pin gaps and also lets the shooter use fewer pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas111 View Post
    I agree with Ruger 4 , he's the real deal , you need to get a Elite " Judge" target bow and not worry so much about what Jonas says. If you are good at yardage guessing then a target bow will be throwing darts all day long.

Just my .02 cents.
    2 thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger4 View Post
    2 thumbs up

I love a good Fix

A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I was getting confused there for a second, I thought maybe I wrote that after my hockey game and a few brews. I didn't remember writing that.

Too funny RUGER4.

It is tough decision buying a new bow for target archery. It is much easier buying a bow for hunting.

I just got my Triumph from Mathews last week and I am really enjoying this bow. Next step for me is to practice a lot with the bow as well as practice yardages.

Good luck Ruger in picking a new bow.

Cant say I have shot any of the bows mentioned however,

I have shot my Hoyt Alphaburner with sureloc literally back to back with my Hoyt ProElite at 90 and 70 meters.

Scores have been within 5 points on average.

The Burner is a bit "twitchier" and less forgiving to form errors but that speed can sure get some points back at distance.

The Alphaburner is similar specs wise to some of the bows mentioned.

Long risered parralell limb bows hold deceptively well considering the shorter axle to axle.

Other than the brace height I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the Burner or a similar type bow in a FITA event.

what would speed have to do anything is Fita ... the distance is known ... its not like you are gonna dial 68 meters on the 70 meter line. In the right hands anybow can shoot ... I know a guy that has shot an indoor 300 round with a Hoyt Super Tec ... he shot a 300 27 X ... it can get better than that ..but not by much
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by dave* View Post
    Cant say I have shot any of the bows mentioned however,

I have shot my Hoyt Alphaburner with sureloc literally back to back with my Hoyt ProElite at 90 and 70 meters.

Scores have been within 5 points on average.

The Burner is a bit "twitchier" and less forgiving to form errors but that speed can sure get some points back at distance.

The Alphaburner is similar specs wise to some of the bows mentioned.

Long risered parralell limb bows hold deceptively well considering the shorter axle to axle.

Other than the brace height I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the Burner or a similar type bow in a FITA event.
    Thanx Dave for your feed back

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    what would speed have to do anything is Fita ... the distance is known ... its not like you are gonna dial 68 meters on the 70 meter line. In the right hands anybow can shoot ... I know a guy that has shot an indoor 300 round with a Hoyt Super Tec ... he shot a 300 27 X ... it can get better than that ..but not by much
    I think the speed is for 3D and not so much the FITA. We don't have very many FITA shoots in our area so it is something Ruger and I are interested in but we will most likely have to start a league of some sort in the fall.

Bow Walker Guest

Speed means diddly-squat in FITA and/or Spots - or any target shooting from "known" distances.

The only place that speed can help/hurt you is in Hunting and 3D or anything where yardage judging is key to the shot.

And - yes - I just paraphrased Bowzone Mikey....because he's right, as usual. Just ask his wife.

I may be wrong but it is my opinion ( and they are like @##holes everybodies got one)

But speed at the longer distance sure dont hurt.

I use the analogy of a fastball vs a slowpitch arcing soft ball.

Which will be more accurate?

RE the bows in question and groupings the Burner has a bit more of a lateral grouping pattern ( short BH and Torque related perhaps) , the Proelite very tight side to side but more of a spread in the up down groupings.

With my Proelite at 90m the arrows are essentially "out of downrange energy" and are falling like a rock. any up down errors are magnified .

This is shooting 6 arrow groups x 6=36 arrows.

Agreed known distance, speed shouldnt matter, I just think there are enough variables at distance that speed does help.

I am only going by my personal experience of shooting both bows back to back under identical conditions.

Sorry for the thread jack.