Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ***** Target Bows *****

Bow Walker Guest

Re: ***** Target Bows *****

Your analogy about speed is right on. As for accuracy? Both are accurate in target situations - it's the shooter, not the bow.

Hunting situations are an entirely different thing. A slow-bow can lob an arrow over a limb or branch of a tree at 12 yards to kill that deer at 28 yards.

A speed bow will likely need a clearer shot to make the kill.

I understand the point you are making ... But if you know what your equipment is gonna do at what distance ...the speed it gets there dont matter at all ...

Now that said .. My target bow shoots faster than My hunting bow but my hunting arrows are considerably heavier and my single cam hunting bow is alot more user friendly than my dual Binary cams on my target bow
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Close range FITA speed is a non factor but I tell you when shooting out at 70Meters a little speed is nice especially when there is a breeze.I can only imagine what it would be like at 90.Speed is more accurate I feel in the wind. Speed and 3D helps when you misjudge your yardage. My 2 cents. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Mike ... respectfully ... in breezy conditions ... i think FOC and arrow construction is more important than speed at distances ..... you typically wont see 300 fps at any Fita unless its with a hunting bow or a 3Der ... but you will see 250 -260 fps (with a compound and way less with an olympic recurve) with skinny little knittin needles and teeny tiny fletchings with a real heavy tungston Feild points

Now that said ... the Bow i am shooting in Fita this year is the same I am shooting in 3D ... I think I may just convert my hunting bow...either way I get 280 out of it shooting 370 grains and 60 pounds ... I acquired a set of ACEs Cheaply and gonna try them out ... The shape of the ACEs will certainly help as well ... being barreled and all .... but there is no way I need 100 grain points in them for 3D... I have some ACC 3-39s (340 grain total weight)with 70 grain points and they flew awesome out of my 60 pound Protec for 3D out to 50 yards at a fair speed as well (clocked at 270 ish in Lethbridge Nats) .. beyond that the wind had a bigger hand in them
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I'd have to agree with Jona111. I shoot an '04 Ovation, long AtA, long brace height(8 1/8"). Verrry forgiving, and a dream to shoot all day long!!!!