Thread: 1st for the Roar

1st for the Roar

My wife, Carol and I headed to the bush for a few days, just 37 days since having my 2nd knee replaced (left), same day as 308lover. The red stags had started roaring and we are just meat hunting and collecting heads for TB autopsy (glands in head are tested) after 10yrs of 1080 poison operations to rid the ranges of TB infected possums that pass infection on to cattle, deer and pigs. If this survey of heads comes up clear of TB then 1080 poisoning which also kills deer will be finished in this area.
    The first evening we put up a hind and weaner before I put Carol up a tree over looking a clearing while I walked up the track to listen for stags roaring. We both heard maybe 10 stags roaring but as this is solid bush, only 1hr left of shooting light and my wariness of my new knees ability to stand up to traveling we headed back to camp. I had done about 2km and my knee felt good.
    Next morning, 2nd April, we headed out in the dark and stags were roaring everywhere, so we headed for the closest which happened to be in the tightest vine ridden place, but they usually head up onto the range as daylight progresses, which is more open. This was the case, with 2 stags challenging one another so we could pinpoint the stag with out having to roar. It was very dry underfoot and we ended up mucking it up.
    We climbed up a ridge and 2 stags were 'going' on the other side and we managed to get within 50m of one when they shut up. It was so dry under foot we couldn't move unless he roared. He roared again after at least 5min and I could move on to a damper piece of ground and saw him at 15m as he moved to my right. I hit him a bit far back but you take what's presented in thick bush so he ended down in the creek, 20m away.
    Just a scrubby little 8 pointer, typical of this areas genetics.
    Ten years ago I would have gutted him chucked him on my back and headed off back to camp (1km) but not today. We took both back legs and back steaks, dragged him out of the creek then cut the head off and a 4hr trip back to camp as, silly me, took a 'short cut' that required a lot of chopping of vines. We got back in camp stuffed.
    The stags roared all night again but in the morning my leg was not sore, but just felt so fatiged, I had a stag roaring at 300m and as he wouldn't come through to us I left him and we headed home. Carol rechons I'm getting old.
    Two days of rest and I'm feeling great, the weather's fine and I might just head out again.

Last edited by gamehunter6o; 04-04-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1st for the Roar

Good work !!

I'm envious for sure!....I spent a couple weeks near Wanaka last yr this time and the only ones I heard roar was the captive ones....I actually only seen ONE small hind wich was in a slide out near Haast on the coast.After that I was thinking Argentina for a good stag hunt....but...my girlfreind is from NZ and we are going down for xmas...whats good hunting during that month down there??...maybe good hogs with my bow?? goats?..guess the reds antlers would be dropped by Dec?

Well done, nice looking beast. Can't wait for fall north of the Equator!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Cool story! I've got quite a few dvds with stag hunts, and it looks like a blast, although the "roar" they let out sounds kinda creepy. Congrats, and thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Good work !!

I'm envious for sure!....I spent a couple weeks near Wanaka last yr this time and the only ones I heard roar was the captive ones....I actually only seen ONE small hind wich was in a slide out near Haast on the coast.After that I was thinking Argentina for a good stag hunt....but...my girlfreind is from NZ and we are going down for xmas...whats good hunting during that month down there??...maybe good hogs with my bow?? goats?..guess the reds antlers would be dropped by Dec?
    All 7 species of deer in NZ are in velvet, Nov to 1st March, but you can still hunt them 12mths of the year.
    You won't see our wild deer from the road or in town, those ones get shot. You really have to bush hunt or hunt the open tops above the bush line.
    Bow hunting for hogs would best be done on a 'free range estate' or with someone 'in the know' in the tussock country in the South Island.
    Nice to see you've got a Kiwi girlfriend, beat those Argentinians any day.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.