Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Thunderheads.

Problem with Thunderheads.

I have shot fixed blade broad heads with a crossbow (not thunderheads) into my crossbow broad head block many times with no problem. When I fling 125g thunderheads into it from my 63 lb compound, I don’t get them back. I am cleaning the shaft with alcohol, letting it dry and then gluing the inserts in. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Problem with Thunderheads.

Nope,, JK
    not with a crossgun,, i mean crossbow. But years ago when i shot fixed blade i had that problem with the heat glue. I now use , and have for the past 10 or so years, use a crazyglue for that.

Bow Walker Guest

All I can suggest is that you do the gluing indoors (if you're outside in a shed or something like that) - it might be a bit too cod for the glue to cure properly.

I now use 2-part epoxy for my inserts.

I use a wire brush or spindle sander attachment (like that for a Dremel 3/16 works great for Easton Slim tech arrows) to scuff up the inside of the arrow shafts then clean ... I dont use the 2 part epoxy ... I use either Goat tuff or Gorilla glue for slim tech arrows .... I used to use hot melt for conventional arrows with the inserts that have a lip on the outside of the arrows ..but have found that hot melt actually becomes brittle and breaks apart after a while ... I dont use the epoxy because I would like to shoot that day, epoxy is a 24 hour cure.

On saturday I helped a guy set up his new bow, brand new arrows rest sight etc .....We went shopping at a local shop ...bought the arrows(Easton STs) we then Cut them up, and built them ... Installed the Hidden inserts then flecthed them up ... by the time the fletching was done the gorilla glue had set up and we then set up his bow with rest, sight, peep etc... ... got center shot blah blah blah by the time that was done the arrows were ready to shoot ... shot the rest of the day no problems
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thanks guy's.
    Maybe the glue got brittle as it's been awhile since they were glued and the turning of the broadheads onto the shaft has weakend it.
    Time to re-glue with better stuff.

Hey 358, Try completly taking off the broadhead edge with a file , turning it into a practice arrow.. . The reduction of cutting and now pushing the bags guts will correct your problem .
    Learned that one at a North A Longbow Safari event ...
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 03-29-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    Hey 358, Try completly taking off the broadhead edge with a file , turning it into a practice arrow.. . The reduction of cutting and now pushing the bags guts will correct your problem .
    Learned that one at a North A Longbow Safari event ...
    Cheers

that is sound advise as well regardless of the type of target you are shooting .... I usually paint my practice heads along the shank so I can quickly determine if they are what I wanna shoot at my target or not
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Dumb question time Mikey - what does the painting tell you about the heads?

so I can tell that they are practice heads instead of using my good ones ...
    A true Archery Nut

Bow Walker Guest

heheheh, I thought that might be the case......but then again, I thought that there might be a deeper, darker secret lurking in there somewhere.