Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: how do i get my gf into hunting?

Re: how do i get my gf into hunting?

This is awesome,
    Moose Hunter can't you write anything, even in a PM, that doesn't cause a 7 page thread?

IMHO What scares me most in the bush and on the roads isn't women or young men, its the older gentlemen who dont know the gas from the brake or the safety from the trigger.

Some of the funniest/interesting threads i have read on here in the last bit were started by moose hunter or the people he has ?motivated?
    Good work for a 13 year old I say! Might make a good politician one day

Back to the thread, I got my wife into hunting a few years ago with a .410 and a 22. Nice and light, easy to handle. she turned out to be a real good shot with them, even better than me. We would go grouse hunting and after I flushed them out she would pick them off, then enjoy a nice beverage while I found them and brought them back to her. I had to handle them very gently so as not to damage them but she was very happy and enjoyed herself, so I was happy. She wants to try waterfoul next, so i am looking into wetsuits...

BTW Birddog "get her into cooking and cleaning" i think i soiled myself!! My wife laughed about it when i told her, i was cooking dinner, vacuming and fetching things for her at the time...

Wahoo its friday! Maybe she will let me go fishing this weekend? I guess I will be working the downriggers and setting the gear while she fights fish but its still fishing right?
    (now thats the devils advocate)

Glad I could give you a chuckle. BTW my wife said I could say that, but I had to do the dish's before I could play on the computer.
    Cheers Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by sub urban bow hunter
    This is awesome,
    Moose Hunter can't you write anything, even in a PM, that doesn't cause a 7 page thread?

IMHO What scares me most in the bush and on the roads isn't women or young men, its the older gentlemen who dont know the gas from the brake or the safety from the trigger.

Some of the funniest/interesting threads i have read on here in the last bit were started by moose hunter or the people he has ?motivated?
    Good work for a 13 year old I say! Might make a good politician one day

Back to the thread, I got my wife into hunting a few years ago with a .410 and a 22. Nice and light, easy to handle. she turned out to be a real good shot with them, even better than me. We would go grouse hunting and after I flushed them out she would pick them off, then enjoy a nice beverage while I found them and brought them back to her. I had to handle them very gently so as not to damage them but she was very happy and enjoyed herself, so I was happy. She wants to try waterfoul next, so i am looking into wetsuits...

BTW Birddog "get her into cooking and cleaning" i think i soiled myself!!My wife laughed about it when i told her, i was cooking dinner, vacuming and fetching things for her at the time...

Wahoo its friday! Maybe she will let me go fishing this weekend? I guess I will be working the downriggers and setting the gear while she fights fish but its still fishing right?
    (now thats the devils advocate)
    i like this guy i hate politicians though i would never sink that low and the reason all my threads last is simply because every body wants to argue with the kid
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

i would never sink that low
    You might, if we were to use good leg weights and the water was deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by moose hunter
    i like this guy i hate politicians though i would never sink that low and the reason all my threads last is simply because every body wants to argue with the kid
    No one wants to argue with you at all. In fact if it was not for opionated, hardass rednecks your freedom of speach might be limited and in another language ..if ya get my drift.
    Remember if you just try to cause contraversy no one will really get to know you..
    Only stupid people are never wrong.

whoaaa there BCBOY let it go guy, just let it go.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

[quote=sub urban bow hunter]?

You are treading on incitful and dangerous ground here to single out a certain group is bias and will not fly unless you can say this is the case each and every time. I do not think this type of behaviour is unique to any age group or gender. I have seen this stuff done by every group and gender while I have been driving and hunting I would like this comment withdrawn it will only cause hard feelings and show your intolerance for others.

Whao! Some 'interesting' opinions here. Nevertheless, my wife comes out with me once in a while. They are great times. We chat about nature, wildlife, I share what I can about the things we see in the bush, sometimes we even pull over and...

Ahem, anyway, I try not to force hunting on her, but do make the trip enjoyable and more focussed on the experience than focussed on killing something. Pack a picnic lunch, choose an area that is easy to hunt and get to. Trudging long distances through tough bush to your favorite hide is a sure way to lose out. Choose fair weather days, too. If you try to throw a pack on her for a 7-day alpine sheep hunt - you've lost her forever. Unless she is fit and up to something like that.

A few years ago, I took my wife on a spring black bear hunt - just a day hunt. Made a good breakfast, left at a liesurely time, had a picnic lunch, some coolers (beer for me) and drove out to the area (about 45 mins). It was a big cut block that had a couple of nice overwatches on it that would take no more than 15 mins to walk onto and you did not feel like you were on a stairmaster afterwards. Sat for a while, talking about the habits of bears, bear habitat, behaviour in the spring, etc., when SHE spotted a bear! She promptly took the binos from me to glass it. We watched it for about 10 mins before deciding it was worthy enough for the freezer. We did a short stalk together and I dropped it with my 308.

The whole experience about walking up to the carcass, dressing it, and dragging it (she helped), was just fasinating for her. She took part in the experience, helped out and it wasn't forced. She doesn't come out me all the time and when she does I adjust my expectations about my hunting. My hunting is quite a bit more intense and puritan and she would not enjoy that - maybe later, she will. We are planning on going up north for a moose hunt in the future and she is 'game' but we got to wait a bit until the kids are older.

Firearm advice if firearms are your tool of choice - go with easy calibres. If its deer - go for a .243 or .260. For larger, .280 and you carry a bigger calibre. If recoil is not a problem for her then go with what she shoots well.

Happy hunting and watch out for species dying off on the vine - some of which are on this thread!
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 03-18-2006 at 10:05 AM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

my wife and i have been hunting together for years she's 52 she has shot deer and moose . she guts , skins and uses a 270