Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i get my gf into hunting?

how do i get my gf into hunting?

my girlfriend is downstairs right now i am wondering how do i get her into this she already has like a 20 pound recurver she loves to shoot and i know as soon as she drops sumthing she will be hooked is it legal for her to get her junior licence and hunt with me and my dad? anyways thanks for any replies cheers moosy
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how do i get the gf into hunting?

Ok Heres my advice, Why on gods green earth would you want your girlfriend to go hunting with you? If she is getting a junoir hunting licence, I can asume your not that old, right. Take it from a older married guy the last thing you want is to be draggen some girl along hunting with you. I know your young and in love, but trust me one day you will enjoy being out hunting with the BOYS no wifes, no girlfriends. Dont get her into hunting son, get her into cooking and cleaning you'll be much happier.

Cheers Birddog
    P.S. The only girl you should be taking hunting is a golden retriver!

ROFL!!!

While I have seen some happy husband and wife hunting couples I would NEVER even consider the practice for myself.

When I go hunting/fishing there is a strict no females allowed policy. No Exceptions. They bitch, whine and almost always ruin a trip.

It's like her dragging you off to get your hair & nails done.

You just DON'T DO IT!

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

I could hardly hold my tears!

ROFL! sound advice moose hunter in the morning when you go hunting let sleeping dogs or GF lie.

how do i get my gf into hunting?

i want to get my girl friend into hunting so she can spend more time with me in the spring and fall she likes shooting her bow its a 20 pound recurve or somthing like that so maybe i can upgrade her to my 50 lb compound? i know once she drops a deer she will be hooked. i think i will take her to the range and set her up with one of my 303s or maybe my 308 or 280? because i recently inherited a clutter of rifles from my uncle who is in the hospital from cancer anyways i would especialy like to hear from guys who got there gfs hunting or fathers who got their daughters into it thanks for any info, cheers moosy
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

Re: how do i get my gf into hunting?

Only a little advice.

If she wants to start shooting, use a .22.

Don't start off with trying to impress her with how much of a hero you are to be able to withstand the recoil of a heavy calibre rifle and trying to make her do the same thing.

Try to make the shooting experience relaxed and fun.

Don't put any pressure on her to shoot a bigger rifle until SHE wants to try it.

Then use a 243 or 7x57 or 6.5x55 Mauser.

You going spring bear hunting? Bring her along. That way you are doing something together and four eyes are better than two.

My wife often spots bears before I do.

The hunting part depends on your gf's actual interest in learning and doing it.
    Last edited by MichelD; 03-15-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Only a little advice.

If she wants to start shooting, use a .22.
    That's actually a LOT of advice. Specifically, a lot of GOOD advice.

And do yourself another favour - get her GOOD hearing protection. She won't be used to the noise, and noise can create flinch and pain as much as recoil can.

Get her out and used to a 22, wearing good hearing. Then break her in on something light - if all you've got is a 303 then get some 150 grain loads. If you happen to have a 30-06, you can get Remington Reduced Recoil loads, they are about the power of a 30-30 and perfect for breaking someone in.

Go slow and you can wind up with a great hunting partner and have a lot of fun. Try to rush it, and you could wind up with a miserable gf.

Oh - and when she tries the 'big guns' for the first time - get her standing freehand. Kicks a bit less i think.

she already hyas a 22 maybe the 22-250 or 223 i inherited 2 of both of those but the 303 will drop a moose and i find has very little recoil. i will only be using a 7mm for my spring bear well i will bve rotating between the 7mm and 300 but is she allowed to come with me and my dad if she gets a juniors and still take somthing?

Good for you moosehunter, I found my hunting time went way up when I found a girl that loved to hunt. you guys are all just jealous, hmmm, curl up with a group of guys in camp or be sleeping close to my GF! whatever you guys prefer you guys can have .
    taking the time to teach someone proper shooting form makes all the difference when it comes to archery or rifle shooting. get her shooting rabbits with the bow or ground hogs from there on her confidence to take a shot goes way up. remeber that she does not have to pull a heavy bow or shot a cannon.
    I have attached a pic of My GF on the last hunting trip we took up north bowhunting muleys. that was my deer and she passed on a lot more better than that one.
    Last edited by Jetboater; 09-18-2006 at 05:18 PM.