Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Creek/ Whitetail?

Rock Creek/ Whitetail?

Hey guys and gals,I'm new to this site and have been hunting for only 2 years.I'm going on a 2 week trip starting on oct 8th-22nd. My two buddies got a doe draw in rock creek and I've never hunted whitetails before, and they won't share any tips on how to hunt them except to make sure it has antlers.(some help) Any info to help me would be great. This site is awsome and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BROTHERSAGE; 09-28-2006 at 08:21 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rock Creek/ Whitetail?

I don't think their is any deer at Rock Creek

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERSAGE
    Hey guys and gals,I'm new to this site and have been hunting for only 2 years.I'm going on a 2 week trip starting on oct 8th-22nd. My two buddies got a doe draw in rock creek and I've never hunted whitetails before, and they won't share any tips on how to hunt them except to make sure it has antlers.(some help) Any info to help me would be great. This site is awsome and thanks in advance!
    I think you need new buddies. If they won't share their knowledge and experience with you I would tell them to "Go ---- them self" and fined somebody that is willing to help a new hunter.
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

They're as smart as the smartest. Keep the wind in your face, never skyline yourself, walk the inside 10 yards of a cut looking out and when you think you're going slow enough to pick up movement without being detected, slow it down twice as much. Best of luck, you're going to learn more being there doing it than anyone can tell you I think. I think that goes for anyone doing anything. Most importantly, don't forget your camera for the buck you're going to whack !

Watch the wind, try hunting the cover on the edge of openings and again go slow. Once you find an area with sign such as droppings, browsed veg, tracks go about forty times slower.

Good luck and post how you do either way.
    Always remember the rear end you kick today may be the one you need to kiss tomorrow.

Kids that hunt and fish don't grow up to rob little old ladies!

Rainwater Guest

The best part of your story is your so called buddies. They have definitely bad kharmad themselves and I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that you are gonna shoot yourself a nice buck now without there help. Find a nice trail with fresh deer sign, get up above the deer at least l hour before daylight and let everything calm down. Be patient, don't fidget and move your gun/bow slowly when it's time for the shot. Whitetail hunting involves patience. GOOD LUCK (they need it).

in addition to previous comments make sure you look behind you once in awhile and even backtrack if you passed through a hot area with lots of sign 10 min later......apparently the whilie bucks will wait for you to pass then continue on their way once they think the danger has passed.

I have been readin lots since I got WT anterless LEH down in 8-1. Headin there OCt 10. WIll be my first WT as well. Can't wait.

Check out these other threads. All relative info from other posters:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6619
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6289
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6855

you will bag one!

Your all on the right track. If you are in some nice timber try hunting tree to tree, giving your self at least 5 min. on each tree, this will give you a chance of seeing them first.
    Blacktailaholic

If you get in an area that has alot of sign (tracks, droppings, fresh rubs) pick a good spot to sit. Keep the wind in your face and like someone said before don't fidget around. Thats one big advantage of a tree stand, you can be in a half sleep mode. Not moving, eyes closed and ears wide open. What I'm trying to say is let them come to you. While you are sitting you can think of some new partners. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys, I will update you when I return on the 22nd. Thanks again for the Info and the encourgement. I found out today that we are hunting mu 8-14.Does anyone know this area? Now It's my turn to keep all these tips a secret from them as they are not aware of this site nor will they ever find out!Thanks and best of luck to everyone.