Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June on Bowron Lake

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

June on Bowron Lake

Doing a a trip on Bowron Lake chain the first week of June. Any hints, tips, suggestions for flys, etc?

cheers,
    RC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: June on Bowron Lake

I did the Lakes in June last year. Six of us took our fly gear with not a lot of luck. We ran into 3 or 4 parties with collapsible rods and tackle and they could ate tons of fish every day. If I went to do it again in June thats what I'd take.
    Proud Meatarian for 36 years running!
    Its a concious decision.

Green Doc Spratley..and Black Doc Spratley...attractants

Leech..shrimp..and Yellow 52 Buick...

Srr

It'll be cold. You and the water. Sinking fly line, black leech, or blood leech, also Rupp's spratleys. Bright on dull days dull on bright days LOL
    Red on anything. Slow is key, if you're VERY lucky you may see some "finning" but that's rare in June. Have a nice trip--rise early and camp early, wind won't bother you. Enjoy!

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Thanks for the replys, guys.

308: I guess I better break out the tying gear and also pack my woolies. Just hoping it doesn't rain the whole time.

RC
    Last edited by Tuffcity; 03-19-2010 at 04:32 PM.

The best kept secret for good fly fishing within the entire Bowron Chain is Hunter Lake. (Accessed from Sandy Lake) Plan to spend an extra night at Sandy and carry your canoe up to Hunter Lake for the day. It will easily be your best fishing day the entire trip.

There's one other for bull trout where you can catch them nearly every cast all day to your hearts content up to 15 lbs but you'll have to find that one

Bowron Lakes in June......take a shotgun
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

I forget the names of hte lakes now - but about ten years ago we did the circut in early Sept. The large lakes as you turn south and back west were really cold and had lots of glacial silt. But the smaller lakes as you turn back north toward home looked the most promising.

One paddling tip though: we were all experienced canoeists and joked about the "dangerous rocks" toward the end of the large east-west lake on the bottom of the circut. But if there had been even a little chop on the water, we probably would have plowed into them at full speed. Seriously, keep your eyes open along that stretch.

But awesome trip - saw moose and goats and would love to go back and do it again. Have a blast!
    "the snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches" - ee cummings

June means the bears are out. A clean camp and proper bear etiquette is mandatory. In June the bugs shouldn't be too bad, but be prepared for cold temps and wind.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

This is an old thread but thought I would ask for some information . Going to do the Bowron Lakes middle of August .

#1 I'm not a fly fisherman but I could always troll something with a sinking line, any advice ?

#2 As far as trolling with regular lures or spin casting could you fellas offer some advice ?

Thanks Very Much !
    Arctic Lake