Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

Re: Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

Still a go no where thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Still a go no where thread
    I would disagree, If we had of got rid of all the nets years ago we would still be able to fish for Springs! Now they are banning sports fishers and keeping the stupid native nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I would disagree, If we had of got rid of all the nets years ago we would still be able to fish for Springs! Now they are banning sports fishers and keeping the stupid native nets.
    Still would not save it removing commercial nets(I am not a fan) that is not going to change the present direction or remove any form of FN harvest. This is not a net vs hook or sport vs commercial issue

Still fighting over who gets scraps and FN’s hold all the cards. Blame those who voted Libs federally and NDP provincially that is what set this in motion

"food or ceremonial"
    I know a group of native elders that were trying to teach the young ones how to cut and dry fish. The young ones weren't interested, they wanted to just catch and sell the fish and what they didn't sell before they went bad they just threw away.

This is an old thread but was happy to stumble on it. I tried reading most of the posts that didn’t get defensive or angry but that only left a handful, thanks for starting a conversation on an obvious issue that will effect everyone soon if we don’t take drastic measures. The moratorium on the east coast didn’t happen that long ago!!!! I didn’t know how to answer my 8 year old when he asked why the fella filling up his truck with ice was allowed to net 200 sockeye in the next couple days in the river after we fished our asses off in Rupert with hook and line. Got me thinking the same thing, why don’t we give the nets a brake. It’s not that easy I get it and more is affecting the decline than nets. Much respect to commercial fisherman and their families, maybe a charter boat could be the next best thing? Salmon prices would skyrocket no doubt and should be worth more I think. Thanks for throwing this out there SPY we’ve gotta start thinking about tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    This is an old thread but was happy to stumble on it. I tried reading most of the posts that didn’t get defensive or angry but that only left a handful, thanks for starting a conversation on an obvious issue that will effect everyone soon if we don’t take drastic measures. The moratorium on the east coast didn’t happen that long ago!!!! I didn’t know how to answer my 8 year old when he asked why the fella filling up his truck with ice was allowed to net 200 sockeye in the next couple days in the river after we fished our asses off in Rupert with hook and line. Got me thinking the same thing, why don’t we give the nets a brake. It’s not that easy I get it and more is affecting the decline than nets. Much respect to commercial fisherman and their families, maybe a charter boat could be the next best thing? Salmon prices would skyrocket no doubt and should be worth more I think. Thanks for throwing this out there SPY we’ve gotta start thinking about tomorrow
    This thread is as relevant today as was back when I started it.

IMHO, the whole topic is mute. Will not EVER happen. Even if our NDP dummies tried it, who would listen? Just like how ridiculous the hunting regs are getting. At some point people will ignore all of it and do what they want, and they wont have the manpower to enforce anything. Just like the FN dont follow any protocol now,,it will just apply to everyone.

ya know I think Spy might be onto something here.
    North America is experiencing a big influx of people coming here who need jobs and housing.
    those people could be located in all the costal communities along the entire coasts, both sides of the continent, top to bottom
    every day they would go out on a barge and fish with their rod, line and two hooks.
    end of the day they would come back in and sell their catch to a government appointed fish monger
    everybody wins
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024