Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

I have been pondering this for some years months & have decided to put it out there. Maybe Im not alone in my thinking!

Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

If there were to be a ban on commercial fishing with nets for all fish in all the oceans World wide, it would give fish stocks a chance at survival

If every fisherman were to be limited to using 2 hooks per line,It would take huge pressure off very low fish stocks.
    Make it legal for ANY fisherman with a fishing license to sell his catch,up the quotas & this will supply our local markets & create allot of jobs.

I can see all fish stocks been depleted in the near future if we don't take drastic measures.

So all nets must go,2 hooks per line only!

What are your thoughts?
    Any other Ideas?

Lets hear it!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ban all fishing nets. Hooks & line only

im. with you ,troll caught fish are a far better qualitythan gill or sein net.dont agree with letting anyone sell fish though

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I have been pondering this for some years months & have decided to put it out there. Maybe Im not alone in my thinking!

this will supply our local markets & create allot of jobs.

What are your thoughts?
    No it wont supply the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

My thoughts are. Take the fish farms out of the migration routes. And put them out in the ocean.

spy, i dont know what you do for a living but im sure in some way it harms the enviroment so we should ban your job as well and see how your family would like it.im a third generation fisherman, and yes the fish are in poor shape but but you should be pounding on the dfo who have mismanaged the fisheries because of politics.hopefully youre beter informed know....fowl

Commercial fishing has not even opened for non natives in the fraser for a couple of years,if it has maybe a one day opening.More fish taken by natives and poaching than commercial,no enforcement and no compliance of "food or ceremonial" catch numbers.Bad subject and 2 hooks will not cut it..

Lets take Springs for an example.If the quota was 10 per day, 5 guys per boat 50 fish caught & sold at ramp X by 50 boats thats 2500 fish per day for local market Im sure supply will meet demand.
    The price of fish would go through the roof, which would be really good for them & local business.

Oh bugger, another fish management thread on a hunting forum...

If you think commercial fishing is the only thing doing our salmon/other fish in, you are very narrow minded. Though commercial fishing has done in something like 85% of the worlds stocks, it definately isnt the only thing. Sockeye fishing was closed in BC last year, and yet the returns were way below forecast.

Also, sport fishing has had a significant impact on fish stocks...only recently did we realize that recreational anglers took a substantial portion of the annual Chinook catch...what happens when we make it legal to sell your catch? People are greedy, part of the reason why management is so hard to implement.

I dont know the solution, but I know it will take a multi-faceted approach, aimed at fishing, habitat, enhancement, etc and would probably be a difficult pill to swallow by alot of people.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

So what do you do in very bad weather when the boats can not get out? Are these shops going to wait?

vancouver island for now .. soon on a peice of paridise in quesnel

thew concept is good .. i have fished commercially all ways .. back in the old days the rowboat fisherman used to spend several months following the fish .. good days ..........but unfortunately with stocks soooo low no money to be made ..least not anymore ..

let OZONE have his fish farm on land or waaaaaaaaay out to see and leave the migratory routes to the wild fish ....he can sell that shyte fish to the yanks and other countries ..
    real canadians dont eat farmed fish ..
    friends dont let friends eat farmed fish ..lol