Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for duck waders...what kind you got?

looking for duck waders...what kind you got?

Well the last thing I did at the end of duck season was toss my old waders. I had some lacrosse old school rubbers and they were heavy but totally bombproof even in thorns/kneeling in a boat/river drift wood piles etc .... eventually time got them. To my dismay they don't sell those anymore!! Now I need to get another pair and I'm hoping that anyone who hunts ducks can tell me what they're using and how good or bad their luck has been with them. I like using real world testimonials in purchase decisions..let's hear the good news and the bad!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: looking for duck waders...what kind you got?

I've been wearing Cabelas brand waders going on 15 years now and would highly recommend them, there warranty is second to none! Over that time I've owned or still do 5 or 6 pairs, with my hunting waders seeing over 30 trips per season. I do not baby my stuff, nor abuse it, I use it as intended, so with this in mind if you get 5 years from waders I think you're doing pretty good!

Since I don't know you or where you hunt it's hard to get specific. For me, I' "hot" and since moving to BC find it warm, so I bought breathables and love them! If you're on the cold side, or hunt in colder areas (glad I don't anymore!) neoprenes are the way to go! I like buckles over velcro, and have switched to bootfoots over stocking.

Very best,

ian

Ditto to what Ian said...The cabelas I have had great luck.

I have a pair of 5mm neoprene now (not sure what I will use then for once I move out here) they are bordering on to warm, even in -10c weather.
    Next pair will be breathables.
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

early in season-Simms G3's breathables. Pricey for most people but i use the hell out of them fishing and working. If you want cheaper but still decent quality breathables look at North Rivers (~250 or so). Their second model improved vastly over their first model with better quality neoprene booties and the all important microfleece hand warmer patch inside the chest pocket.
    Late in season- Bare neoprenes. Cant beat the neoprenes for sitting around waiting for birds and watching your heat dissipate into marshland fog.
    I have both in stocking foot models which means i gotta buy wading boots. But like others have said, go with the boot foot models if you are not doing a ton of walking.
    Last edited by Samsquantch; 03-11-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot important info.

i second ian,s opinion.cabelas breathable are fairly warm and flexable,and are long lastng....fowl

on my second set of cabelas brush busters ...yep they are tuff barb wire no problem. to bad the boots don't match the uppers. sharp stick can poke thru the boots. ..... i beat the sh*t out of my stuff anybody with the least bit of patience or thriftyness would probably have no problem with the boots.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I had simms in the past when I lived back east, I was very impressed with them. They lasted me approx 4yrs of passive hunting and active aggressive fishing. They were one part wore out, one part out grown.
    I currently have a set of Sport 3 by BARE, they have seen 5 seasons of active fishing, and one season of active hunting(pretty much all field) so far the only thing wrong, was a pinhole leak at a seam end(lil awuaseal and good to go)
    they are on the warm side, but not too hot for the most part.

Last edited by 303Brit; 03-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

What about footwear?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Right now I'm using a set of columbia goretex hikers that I didn't use for hiking anymore. They have taken it pretty well actually, I got 2 years hiking with them and 4 years using them as wading boots, gone through a tonne of laces but thats bout it. They stay wet from Sept till Dec, between fishing and hunting.
    Before that I had whatever $50 dollar wading boots were on sale. Didn't care for them much and they wore out pretty quick, but ya get what you pay for.
    I had a matching set of boots for my Simms, they looked like the freestone boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I guess the felt sole is not that big of deal if your hunting?? Or is it...
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education