Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Archery Supplies Lowermainland

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Archery Supplies Lowermainland

Dutchie - it's got to do with things like "operating costs" and local "supply and demand".

Operating costs are a tad more here in Canada and while the supply form Wholesalers is generally pretty good - the local demand is just not what it us like down South of the Border. There are many, many more archers buying supplys, bows, and accessories down there, every day on an ongoing basis, than there are up here in a month.

Just the unpleasant facts.

I, too, work hard for my $$ and I will also do a lot of research and price comparison. I will give the local guys the business whenever I can. But sometimes (as you stated) there is just too much of a price difference. When that imbalance gets into the hundreds of dollars - well my money is just too scarce to waste.

Wyane at Big Game archery works out of the basement of his house. Talking to him his house is paid off. He is making huge money. He charges $130 for arrows that you can buy at Wholesale Sports for $98.95... ohh wait... he charges to cut them down too. WSS and BGA pay the same price and they buy from the same rep.)

His employees are him and his wife and his son (sometimes)

Boormans ownes the building they are in. They charge huge money for thier lessons and they are very very biased. they have limited staff and thier overhead is very low.

I agree with the overhead of larger stores but Boormans and Big Game archery are poor examples of high overhead.

Big Game Archery is a the best store if you do not do research on what you are buying. Wayne is the most knowlegdgeable and best at what he does... Bar None.

If you want to talk about high overhead Chilliwack Dart and Tackle... Reaction Outdoors... Hubs...

The funny thing is... I have Porcupine Creek's price list. (Thier Distributor) I know what they pay... if you only knew what 12 X-Weaves cost... or the Gold Tips cost... you would feel violated.

Supply and demand does not change when he has to order everything in from Calgary. Then that falls into Pocupine Creek's lap. (they prepay all of the shipping, so a shipping is expensive excuse can not be used.)

EX- G5 Montec - $56.99... Wholesale Sports 39.99... dealer Cost... any one want to guess? the number starts with a $1x.xx...

I am not ragging on Wyane... becasue he is a extreamly knowledgable guy and very pleasent person to talk to (most of the time) and he is a straight shooter... I just have a very big problem with people getting raped because there is no competition.

Dutchie
    Last edited by dutchie; 05-30-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    Wyane at Big Game archery works out of the basement of his house. Talking to him his house is paid off. He is making huge money. He charges $130 for arrows that you can buy at Wholesale Sports for $98.95... ohh wait... he charges to cut them down too. WSS and BGA pay the same price and they buy from the same rep.)

His employees are him and his wife and his son (sometimes)

Boormans ownes the building they are in. They charge huge money for thier lessons and they are very very biased. they have limited staff and thier overhead is very low.

I agree with the overhead of larger stores but Boormans and Big Game archery are poor examples of high overhead.

Big Game Archery is a the best store if you do not do research on what you are buying. Wayne is the most knowlegdgeable and best at what he does... Bar None.

If you want to talk about high overhead Chilliwack Dart and Tackle... Reaction Outdoors... Hubs...

The funny thing is... I have Porcupine Creek's price list. (Thier Distributor) I know what they pay... if you only knew what 12 X-Weaves cost... or the Gold Tips cost... you would feel violated.

Supply and demand does not change when he has to order everything in from Calgary. Then that falls into Pocupine Creek's lap. (they prepay all of the shipping, so a shipping is expensive excuse can not be used.)

EX- G5 Montec - $56.99... Wholesale Sports 39.99... dealer Cost... any one want to guess? the number starts with a $1x.xx...

I am not ragging on Wyane... becasue he is a extreamly knowledgable guy and very pleasent person to talk to (most of the time) and he is a straight shooter... I just have a very big problem with people getting raped because there is no competition.

Dutchie
    Dutchie ... while I know excatly what you are talking about ... You have to remember that Buddy whats his name that works out of his basement sells what 15 bows a years ...ish... lets say less than 100 dozen arrows a year .... some other supplies here and there ....Broadheads mostly, a few rests, couple sights and other supplies

bows are not a a high mark up item .. I Know what most factories put their stuff out for ... and most of the factories set a MSRP ... and dealers that sell less than that lose their dealership (many down south play that game via online sales.... some have been caught and sued over it... contract issue)

But to make a modest living ... buddy in the basement needs to sell higher than say WSS because of sheer volume ... plain and simple ....

if buddy lowers his prices then he would do more sales ... probally not since he doesnt have the infrastructure to hold the stock ...

Oh and FYI ... Porcupine creek, Monsens and bow river Distributors ... each have at least 2 tiers of pricing based upon the volume that the dealer does ... At least they did last I checked Porkys and Monsens have 3 actually

Granted I havent been around the industry a long time ... but have spent alot of time in differant scale of shops in the past 11 years and picked up on these things
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

I've know Bow River's wholesale pricing, intimately.

I know what a dozen Fat Boy's, a dozen Gold Tips, or even a dozen arrow inserts cost. Mikey talked about volume of sales, I forgot about that part. Sell more stuff at the retail level and pay less at the wholesale level. It's a fact of life.

In the end, you buy where you want to. It's your $$$

First time I ever heard something that negative about Wayne and Big Game Archery. Here's the deal. Wayne is a top notch archer who can help a new archer like me more than any big store can. His price are reasonable. . . not the cheapest, but fair. Most of the time, I prefer to pay a few bucks more to help out someone in my community who is a pillar for the archery world. I can buy of Ebay if I find a really great deal, but for $10, I much prefer to encourage the guy. The day I'll be too broke to make that choice, that's the day I find a better way to make money, not change shop.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    Boormans ownes the building they are in.
    living in sapperton all my life I know for a fact that Boormans pays primo dollars for rent to caps....or the children of caps.

and you get what you pay for.........can walmart point out you flaws as a shooter ?
    I went to a local large outdoor store and the fella at the archery counter said he could not help me as the guys that know archery were all off at that time.......but I could have saved a few $$$....??
    member of the Kingfisher rod and gun club.

Wayne is tops in my book, helped me out a lot when I first started shooting a bow. Try getting any kind of service and help from your "fleebay dealer".

Bow Walker Guest

Service. Before and after the sale is ALL important. Who wants to buy from someone that doesn't know the product or the sport? Talk about a crap shoot!

After sales service is something that the independent guy can offer (and usually does) his customers. Knowledgeable advice/service is worth its weight in gold. You just can't buy it.

Think twice before "saving" a few dollars....

Reaction tackle is a good store to go check out they got new APA bows and lots of Guns! they will order in anything for you aswell

Was just poking around the Cabela's website.

Looks like a a second Cabela's is opening up in 2012 in Tulalip WA. Not quite lower mainland but a lot easier to access than the Lacie WA Cabela's.