Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Question

Bolt Question

This is my first year with a crossbow and I can't wait to hunt with it. I have a Barnett Penetrator rated at 350fps. I picked up Boltcutter broadheads (150gr) and yesterday bought Gold Tip Lazer II bolts. Are the broadheads too heavy?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Bolt Question

Short answer - NO, they're not too heavy.

You may not be shooting very flat trajectories out past 40 yards, but IMHO, you should not be trying to kill something past 40 yards anyway.

Now get excaliber 150 gr. tips to practice. Good set up. Like Bow Walker said. 40 yds and under.

The Gold tips probably have Brass front inserts. I shoot the exact bolt combo and pulled the brass inserts and put aluminum ones in. Better FOC and more consistant shots from my Exocet 200. That is with over 200 shots at 40 and 50 yards.
    I am very very impressed with the consistancy of 1.5 inch groups at those distances.

They do have brass. That's why I was asking about the weight with 150 gr tips. I'm hitting consistantly out to 40 yds, so the setup should be ok. May try 125's next time tho.

With my crossbow, an Excalibur, I shoot three different weights and brands of arrows and broadheads and I've yet to see a difference in the point of impact. All arrows shot from that crossbow have killed deer. I only shoot 25 to 30 yards with it. I believe, based on my experience, that arrow and broadhead weight is not as critical with a crossbow as it is with a compound bow. Having said that I personally would never go lower than 125 grain broadheads be that crossbow or compound bow, but as long as you stay within the manufactures recommended minimum overall arrow weight for your set up you should be fine no matter what brand and weight of arrow or broadhead you use.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

LOL .... ok then
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

I'm sorry - that's just too funny...........

It must be true ...it's on the internet ?

But its not true!!! Come on tell him..