Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !!Ticks!!

!!Ticks!!

Was out for a shed hunt on saturday, no sheds, but the lady friend found a tick in her hair a few hours later. So with this early spring the little parasites are out already. Hot shower, check your clothes and brush your dogs. You have been warned!!!
    BCWF, CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, 4WDABC, NAHC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: !!Ticks!!

I know your standards Hannibal. The "lady" you mentioned probably brought parasites to the party.

Already pulled a few off my pup over here on The Rock. Earlier than I remember, and yes, they are indeed out!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Get some of this J.R. Watkins, Apothecary, Medicated Ointment,It comes in a Green can that looks like shoe polish. Rub it on and around the tick, It will back out, If it has been on to long it will die and you Will have to pull it off. Go on Ebay and purchase a Tick Key, I have a few of them and they work great for removing engorged ticks. Take the tick to a regional health office for testing. So if you do need medications for lymes or rocky mountain fever then they will know.

I've toyed with the idea of using a tick/flea collar for a large dog around the upper calf area.....but I usually don't get out much for shed hunting....and still have not tried it.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

The mutt's had like 7 or 8 of 'em here in Pemby over February. Pretty unbelievable, since he's had 1 in the past 9 years. I'm a pro at removing those little *******s now-tick key is definitely worth it.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    I know your standards Hannibal. The "lady" you mentioned probably brought parasites to the party.

Don't be foolish, I don't have standards.
    BCWF, CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, 4WDABC, NAHC

Very interesting because I had a lady in my first aid class that went for a hike and got a tick on the back of her neck. she was scared to pull it off because the mandible(mouth parts) stay attached, so I had too early the next morning.

pretty early for ticks I thought.

This is normal for in Kamloops about beginning half of March they appear.
    If you hike the grasslands here now, you'll be crawling with at least four.
    Jelly ( tick tick tick ) BOOM a tick time bomb ... suck your blood .. and you'll be parra lized ..

OFA 3 handbook:

Wood Tick Removal

*Place a drinking straw or a pen barrel down over the tick and slide a peice of thread down the straw so it is right next to the skin where the tick is attached.

*Tie a firm(not too tight) knot around the jaw of the tick as close as possible to the surface of the skin.

* remove the straw and pull the thread gently upward until the tick comes away from the skin.

caution! do not burn tick off as the head will possibly stay in the skin.