Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First hunting rifle - suggestions

Re: First hunting rifle - suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean
    - Don't forget to buy her a present every once in a while (maybe a quality new sling for starters?)
    Got that one covered... Butler Creek Comfort Stretch sling. I was thinking maybe a Bore Snake would be next. Or a bench rest.
    This is VERY important stuff. It IS a relationship after all.....
    I don't usually have "relationships" with my tools, but you never know. Once I finally get out there and start shooting, who knows what may happen.

If I get tired of waiting for the card from Ridgedale... are there any appropriate old gravel pits or other likely spots near the Lower Mainland where a person could legally go and shoot some targets?

Quote Originally Posted by reach
    If I get tired of waiting for the card from Ridgedale... are there any appropriate old gravel pits or other likely spots near the Lower Mainland where a person could legally go and shoot some targets?
    YUP.
    Where abouts are ya?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

One of these days, we've really got to make a map or something of some of the better ones in the lower mainland. We get asked so often

If it is a FAQ, it might be useful to have in a sticky somewhere... unless these spots are like "secret lakes" or favourite hunting areas that shouldn't be spoken of in public?

I've updated my profile to include my location - near the 200th St. exit off Highway 1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    you're gonna get a ton of opinions on this

I would get a good all around cartridge first, with a variable scope. something that can handle deer, bear, and moose out to 250 yards

for a lower cost rifle, take a look at the stainless Remington Model 700 SPS.

Cartridges it comes chambered in that would be suitable for moose include : 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, & 30-06. No need for magnums here. Price in WholeSale Sports or Russell Sports is $599 canadian

Go with a good scope right away, even if it means saving longer to get it. My preference strongly runs towards the Leupold VXII, but for $200 less, a guy can get a real decent scope in the Bushnell Elite 3200. 3-9x40mm would be the best choice. Just as important is good scope mounts, and I prefer Leupold mounts, but Burris makes an equally good set.

A total package, shipping and taxes in (ordered from Alberta) would be $1000.

You really cant go wrong with that setup for years and years of good use in my opinion.

whatever you choose, good luck and shoot straight

The SPS is available in .270 and .300 WSM as of '06 I think, the Winchester Short Magnums are excellent calibers, for deer you couldn't do better than the .270 WSM.

've updated my profile to include my location - near the 200th St. exit off Highway 1.
    er... isn't that langley? Tell me you haven't been gunning up the rickys or something?

Howdy neighbour!

Don't know how far you want to travel. If you want to make a day out of it you could go up to the Carolynn (sp) mines exit, work your way over the river and as soon as you are clear of the highway no shoot zone, poke around a bit.

I found a nice spot for shots out too 400 yrds. Who knows, you may even see a bear?

If you want/need more details than this lemme know. - Dean.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Well, my membership card arrived and I finally got around to going up to the range today. To say I am pleased with the Model 70 would be an understatement.

As a complete rookie (the only other time I fired a high powered rifle about 8 years ago, I got ringed pretty badly), I'm very happy with these results.

Each of these two groups is about 1.5" at 100 yards. This was factory ammo, shooting with a warm gun after about 20 rounds. Considering I have very little idea of proper shooting technique and was only using a bean bag front rest I would have to say the gun is awesome.

Thanks Gord and all who pointed me in the right direction.

Hey reach, for someone who's not an experienced shooter - those are EXCELLENT results. You might not be minute of angle yet, but you're sure as heck minute of deer