Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First hunting rifle - suggestions

Re: First hunting rifle - suggestions

Well, I was in your shoes last July, having hardly shot anything bigger than a .22 and even that was only occasionaly. I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in 30.06 and topped it off with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 and have not regretted my choice on either. I have also put over 200 rounds of factory ammo through it in a bit less than 8 months and I am glad I chose the 30.06 'cause factory ammo is cheap ($20 = 20 rounds) with a decent starter selection at Wal Mart and Canadian Tire and dies and such are readily available for reloading later on. Having not really shot much before, recoil is very manageable for me (6', 180lbs) even with the lighter weight of the T3. It is also enough gun to hold its own in the ballistics arena when compared with non-magnums. And if you want to shoot premium ammo, again it is cheaper than most. Any corner store north of Prince George will likely have a box or two. If you have the option, see if you can hook up with someone with a similar rifle and handle it. Or visit 240Gord and see it in person. Also try and shoot it (30.06). Then you will have a better idea if it is right for you.
    -Tarp Man

had a pm with gord today and he's seems a genuine guy, sounds to me like it's a good deal,one you certainly won't regret anyway. Trust the posts and get your uncle to see gord it's the way to go.....

remember everyone likes to shoot the gun they have or the big buck job they really want buy. my model 70 is my favorite (I wash it and clean and pet it alot) but my bush gun is a ruger 243 win m77 mkII stainless i only use my model 70 on special occasions it is a great gun
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Quote Originally Posted by 000buck
    my model 70 is my favorite (I wash it and clean and pet it alot)
    And I thought I was the only weird one....LOL!!!

Reach,
    You are on the right path, the 30-06 is perfect for all the game in BC out to 250 yrds. As for the rifle, try and get the feel for as many rifle in your price range and buy the one that feels the best. If your budget allow I would put a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 on top of it and you will have a rifle that you can shoot without thinking about the recoil.

Good Luck
    Guys don't get lost, we just find the long way.

Well, I went ahead and bought the .30-06 from 240gord (thanks Gord). Now all I need is for my membership card to arrive from Ridgedale so I can go try it out... *taps fingers*

Thanks for all your input everyone. I will continue to lurk & learn. Then some day I may have some actual knowledge to post.

Depends on what the first thing you are going to hunt is. A gopher? Well a .22 is just fine. A Moose well maybe that .22 isn't such a great idea. Figure out what you are likely going after first. Can't go wrong with a 30.06 though, pretty tough on gophers, check out what is beyond them.

Reach, once your cleared at Ridgedale, drop me a PM we'll see if we can hook up at the range and I'll give you some pointers. Now that's it's not monsooning so much I'll be taking #1 Son to get him trained up ready for grouse in Sept. I'd be glad to give you a hand!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

my 30-06 mod 70 is good it hasnt let me down yet 2 deer with it but my 7mm is on the way and i think i will be using that for a while, i have a weaver x4 scope
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    you're gonna get a ton of opinions on this

I would get a good all around cartridge first, with a variable scope. something that can handle deer, bear, and moose out to 250 yards

for a lower cost rifle, take a look at the stainless Remington Model 700 SPS.

Cartridges it comes chambered in that would be suitable for moose include : 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, & 30-06. No need for magnums here. Price in WholeSale Sports or Russell Sports is $599 canadian

Go with a good scope right away, even if it means saving longer to get it. My preference strongly runs towards the Leupold VXII, but for $200 less, a guy can get a real decent scope in the Bushnell Elite 3200. 3-9x40mm would be the best choice. Just as important is good scope mounts, and I prefer Leupold mounts, but Burris makes an equally good set.

A total package, shipping and taxes in (ordered from Alberta) would be $1000.

You really cant go wrong with that setup for years and years of good use in my opinion.

whatever you choose, good luck and shoot straight

The model 700 sps, and the mod.700 xcr are also available in .270 wsm and .300 wsm, both excellent allround calibers for our game in bc.

Talking Re: First hunting rifle - suggestions

I don't know about the rest of you, but my rifle must be my most prized possession, I recommend a 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite... It shoots great, light weight, tough enough for bc, extremely versatile and I think you can get one new from $650-780 in synthetic/blued... Call up the gun dealers in B.C and ask them to tell you what they have in stock in your price range

BC gun dealers...
    http://www.firearmscanada.com/gun_dealers.html

Quote Originally Posted by reach
    Well, I went ahead and bought the .30-06 from 240gord (thanks Gord). Now all I need is for my membership card to arrive from Ridgedale so I can go try it out... *taps fingers*

Thanks for all your input everyone. I will continue to lurk & learn. Then some day I may have some actual knowledge to post.
    Standing Ovation!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you'll be pleased. Now get out there and SHOOT.

Here's some pointers for ya;

- Give her a name.
    - Give her a nickname.
    - Treat her with the utmost care and respect.
    - Don't forget to buy her a present every once in a while (maybe a quality new sling for starters?)
    - And by all means, when she starts to talk....LISTEN.

This is VERY important stuff. It IS a relationship after all.....

Enjoy!
    Dean.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean