Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "help Please"

"help Please"

I have a question for all the Goose hunters. When shooting geese over decoys is #2 steel enough to take them down. My resone for asking is because I have a Remington 1100 16ga. with choke tubes and I was thinking of getting back into hunting ducks and geesse. Federal sells it's Ultra Shock High Volocity Steel for the 16ga in #2 and #4 steel.

Or should I get some no-toxic shot and reload for hunting geesse.

Thanks all
    Burke

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "help Please"

Get them close and 2s will work just fine for decoying geese.

in my opinion, geese generally look closer then they are and every body gets fooled sometimes .alot to do with it is weather, as they look different in different weather.. therefore we all us bb. as they are faster then bbb. and have more energy then 2,s . don,t forget you can always let them get out allittle before shooting, with i believe is less cripple loss..thats been my experiences....fowl

Same as above. Let them get in close and you should be okay. I got two geese last year at about 15 yds. with #4s, when they came out of the fog, they both dropped dead. But I would recomend trying to find BBs in as high a velocity as you can find for geese.

I don't normally hunt geese but I have killed several that strayed within range while I was duck hunting. With no time to change shells, I was successful with both #2 and #3 steel. Within range was about 30 yards.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?

Remember that you are using a 16 ga. not a 3inch 12 ga. Steel shot is only 60 % of lead in weight so that 16ga. 2 3/4 in shell isn't going to hold a hell of a lot of # 2 or whatever shot. Steel has to be over 1500 fps to work and faster is better.

I was ready to give up goose hunting until I discovered Hevi Shot. Its expensive but it WORKS. Available from Ballistic Products and not hard to reload with the appropriate wads and some use of scales. I have use #2 and #4 with great success on geese out to 50 yds and bearly a cripple.
    If I was to use a 16 ga. Thats what I would use.

I kill all of my Geese with #2's again make sure they are in range and you will have no problems
    My dinner ate my vegetables for me !

Jamie

I've shot lots with #2s, but prefer BB's. I've been trying some Bs in Hevi shot 3" 12 ga but have not been too impressed. Tungsten Matrix works great if you can find and afford them. Just don't try long shots and you'll be fine, especially over decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06 View Post
    I have a question for all the Goose hunters. When shooting geese over decoys is #2 steel enough to take them down. My resone for asking is because I have a Remington 1100 16ga. with choke tubes and I was thinking of getting back into hunting ducks and geesse. Federal sells it's Ultra Shock High Volocity Steel for the 16ga in #2 and #4 steel.

Or should I get some no-toxic shot and reload for hunting geesse.

Thanks all
    Burke
    16 guage with #2 or 4 steel for geese? we shoot 12 ga. and use 3 inch hi vel. #2 or 3 for mallard sized ducks and BB for geese. it seems about right...I can't see a reason you would want to go to smaller...the ballistics are bad for steel as it gets smaller. geese can be tough to drop and harder to chase! if you can't get the bigger sizes in 16 try some heavyshot...we have..it's reediculous! expensive but it drops birds like a hammer. good luck!