Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE best Turkey Decoys

THE best Turkey Decoys

I just found these turkey decoys. Awsome !!! But very pricey.

Just google Dave Smith Decoys .com

I could not get the link to copy.
    Last edited by 300H&H; 02-28-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: FUBAR
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

2. Site Sponsor

Re: THE best Turkey Decoys

Sorry, not steal your thread but where and when are the best areas (no honey holes) and times too hunt these magnificent birds/ nice decoys!!!! Cheers 300
    "LIFE IS GOOD"

http://davesmithdecoys.com/shop/inde...ewCat&catId=18

You weren't kidding about pricey! Woooo!

The DSD decoys look very realistic but as you found out the price is very high. For many years I use the Flambeau Master Series Breeding Flock Decoys.

My prefered setup is a jake, a feeding hen and an alert hen. These decoys sell for about 80 dollars per set and it is all I ever needed. Fancy decoys are cool to look at but more important than that is how and where they are set up. Do it wrong and the most expensive and realistic looking decoy will be useless. If you make it to my seminar in Keremeos on March 28th you'll learn all about setting up decoys plus a lot more.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Have you looked at these?. I've seen them in video action and seem to work good.
    https://shop.primos.com/c-94-turkey-decoys.aspx
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    Have you looked at these?. I've seen them in video action and seem to work good.
    https://shop.primos.com/c-94-turkey-decoys.aspx
    In "video action" everything is made to look good. After all it's meant as a sales pitch.

Besides some kind of realism in a decoy what you MUST look for is portability and set up time. Very often you have very little time to set up your decoys. Having a decoy consisting of different parts that need to be put together can cost valuable time, especially if you hunt on the run with several set ups where every second counts.

For safety reason, for those that do not have a piece of land all to themselves, you want your decoys to roll or fold up to a size that can be carried in the turkey vest pouch or backpack without been visible to other hunters. Carrying a hard shell full body size decoy, or decoys, through the woods is not only cumbersome but more importantly it can get you shot by other hunters. It happens too many times for my liking that other hunters shoot at decoys that are set up or been carried by a hunter. For this same reason NEVER carry a killed turkey slung over your back out of the woods. Cover it up with camouflage cloth! It might save your life.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post

For this same reason NEVER carry a killed turkey slung over your back out of the woods. Cover it up with camouflage cloth! It might save your life.
    Thats why they make HI VIS flagging tape..
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by d6dan View Post
    Thats why they make HI VIS flagging tape..
    Yes that works too. In fact when I carry a turkey out of the woods I have often used flagging tape. A two feet long bowtie around the neck of the bird and the same on each foot and each wing. In addition I always wear a hunter orange safety vest while walking in and out of the woods. I got shot at once and that was enough for me.

Back to the decoys. In areas where I know that there are other hunters I tie flagging tape at the base of each decoy too and sometimes even around the tree I am sitting against. Never had a turkey spook because of it. In fact I know for certain that one tom was attracted to the flagging tape tied on the decoy and flapping in the wind.

I talked earlier about the portability of decoys. Since I always look for new products to field test I came across Hunter's Edge and found these turkey decoys called Transfan. As the name suggests it is a fan that folds up so small you can carry it in your pocket. That would suit me fine because I absolutly hate to carry a lot and bulky stuff around with me when I am hunting. It all has to fit in my turkey vest and pant pockets. Anything more than that and it is way to much stuff. The decoys are printed 3-D pictures of real turkeys and they only cost 17.99 per decoy. The system and design impressed me enough to contact the company to request a few decoys to field test, and I am not easely impressed with hunting equipment.

Where in BC is the best pace to hunt Turkeys?
    I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. -Jesus

I just ordered the 3 Hunters Edge decoys on their web special for $39.99US shipped!!!!! I hope they are as nice as they look in the vid.
    Kim