Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my first compound bow

Re: my first compound bow

BSA 30-06, welcome to the world or archery. You will get allot of advice from allot of people including me and remember, all is volunteered with the best of intentions . It won't be long before you run the gauntlet of the next piece of equipment to add to your bow and it won't be long before you too will be offering advice because you too will have been there, done that.
    Seek out the instruction of a certified instructor as it makes things much easier once one has been shown the basics of correct form. Also, 3D shoots are excellent practice for hunting scenarios.

Hey guys, i just thought of another question. What do you guys do if you have been using your bow in the rain? Are there any special percautions you take or do you just dry it off and put it away.Thanxs again for your help.Oh and i will look into getting some carbon arroows as you guys suggested.

I don't take my old Mathews out into the rain to practice. Also even though I have been farting around with archery for a while now I still learned another lesson the last time I was out. It was in Penticton and I was with a gentleman from Vernon. Don was using carbon arrows and on his first shot(and hit) his arrow got stuck pretty tight in the 3D target. I didn't know that he friction of the passage of the carbon into the foam of the 3D would fuse the 2 materials together. My lesson was, "if you are doing 3D with carbons,bring soap for the arrows and use it liberally". Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

PGKris Guest

Well I danged forgot I posted here.
    Yes, I've used a WB and hated it. My arrows were slow and would not group. Those stinking things slow your speed down by about 50 fps and they absolutely played hell with my fletches. The ONLY good thing about them is they keep the arrow on the rest with no noise. I've got my Quiktune 3000 set up so that my 2315's sit snug in betweek the fork and the riser.
    As for pulling 60 pounds, like I said, personal preference. If you're comfortable with 60# then shoot 60# but I've seen guys twice my size that were pulling 65# and saying it was a piece of cake. But they were sky-drawing and shaking so bad you thought they were gonna collapse. No need to be a tough guy. 50-55# is enough for anyone. I never understood the heroes who thought they had to pull 70 pounds to prove they were tough.
    The number one piece of advice anyone can give you is practice. And buy a range finder.
    KRIS

Never used a WB arrow rest. Never felt any need for it either. I use a simple prong rest and it never has let me down. I heard as much good about WB rests as I heard bad news.
    As for the draw weight of the bow, pull a weight that you can hold back comfortably for 20 seconds without getting the cramp or start shaking. I know many lady hunters shooting with bows set at 45 to 50 pounds and do just fine, as in killing animals. My bow is set at 65 pounds and I never changed that either.

Try diffrernt things and then stick with what works best for you and not with what works for someone else. Neither give in to "macho" pressure. Hang around a lot of archers and if you think it helps make a bow hunter education course, but it's not a requirement to become a better archer or hunter.

There is nothing magic about shooting a bow or even special about it. All that is needed is dedication to do it and a lot of common sense.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 03-08-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I use a trophy taker and a WB the differance in speed using the two rests was with a 350 grain arrow less than 4 fps and a 500 grain was 5 fps less than using the trophy taker.They are a little hard on fletching yes they are but the trade off is worth it to have a quit containment rest. If you want groups using a WB get stiffer spined arrows.

Sealevel - You got me smiling. If I understand that right, the WB gives you 5fps more speed than a trophy taker prong arrow rest.
    But the WB is hard on the fletching, which means you have to replace it a lot. Then in order to get the arrows to group better you have to buy stiffer spined arrows.

If I do a little math then that translates all to quit a bit of money spending and all to gain 5fps more, which in my opinion do not matter one way or another. The trajectory gained from 5fps more is negligable and has no influense on getting better penetration and/or accuracy either. It really does not matter one way or another. But the money I would have to spend to achive this small gain of speed does, at least to me, and I find no justification in it.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 03-08-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

huntwriter the WB is 4 and 5 fps less slower than the TT i use both the bow i shoot lots and 3d with has the TT my hunting bow has the WB and no i am not trying to gain FPS . I was just ansering the 50 FPS loss witch must be a bow made from a willow stick.

Sealevel, i would think your 4-5fps is alot closer than the 50fps. I was told it would be around 3fps so i think your right at 4-5 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    huntwriter the WB is 4 and 5 fps less slower than the TT i use both the bow i shoot lots and 3d with has the TT my hunting bow has the WB and no i am not trying to gain FPS . I was just ansering the 50 FPS loss witch must be a bow made from a willow stick.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your posting then. I got the impression you meant the WB rest, but I still would not use it just because what you said about the damage it does to the fletching. That is what I heard from other hunters too, plus that it can be very noisy.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 03-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.