Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my first compound bow

Re: my first compound bow

I use a Wisker Biscuit and don't seem to have a problem grouping! I also use Aluminum arrows and for hunting broadheads I have the Muzzy 3 blades. I whoopsed with my practice Muzzy and slammed it through a 1x4. No damage to the point or the already dull blades. I don't think any of the mechanicals could stand that abuse. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

BSA 30-06 Welcome to the club. Lots and lots of practise. I don't know enough about your bow to comment on it. Cobra sight box is very very dependable. I have had one since I started shooting. Not fancy just solid. I hit too many trees and stuff doing 3D to shoot aluminums, ( they bend too easy ) I like my carbons.
    Whisker biscuit is not what I would choose due to reasons stated by Willy but a lot of people use and like them so probably just a matter of your choice.
    If you get enough practise you should be ready for spring bear. whoo hoo. again welcome Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by PGKris
    Well get rid of the whisker bisquit I don't know anyone who has ever shot well with them. They are terrible for hunting. I hate them. Myself, I wouldn't pull over 60 pounds because it's overkill. That's just me. Other than that sounds like a good bow. Browning have always made solid bows. Get lots of practice.
    KRIS
    Have you used a WB? Where I shoot there are 6 or 7 guys who used them on their hunting bows, they all love them. I've set up several for people and so far haven't had any complaints. As for being terrible for hunting, how so?

As to not pulling over 60# thats personal preference but there is no reason not to shoot 65-70 if your comfortable with it.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Well Said Kirby !!!!!!
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Bow Walker Guest

Great setup for "entry level" archery and hunting. I agree (seems almost all the time and I have never met him) with willyqbc - in that you should seriously consider changing your aluminium arrows for come Gold Tips. Given that you are shooting above 60 lbs I would suggest the 7595's. If you can (check the chart) the 5575's are a good choice as well.

You will not regret the money invested. Check the web for the best prices. Try www.mountainarchery.com .....even though they are American (out of Montana) they have some very attractive prices. Often cheaper than getting them from home here. Even with the exchange and the shipping.

Good luck and practise hard!

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06
    Well i made the leap into the bowhunting/archery world today.I bought my first compound bow today, but i'm almost afraid to tell you guys what i bought.My first compound is a browning rage ($380.00 bare bow) it is left hand and 60-70 lb pull.It has a cobra 3 pin sight,stabilizer,strap,and a whisker biscuit rest (here it comes go ahead make fun of my rest) , and a dozen aluminum easton arrows with field points for now.I'm not sure what kind of broadheads i will use yet, and i bought a used hard case for it and a cheap four arrow quiver for now.I'm also using a T.R.U ball release.O.k guys fire away let me know what you think , give me your opinions, but remember I,m a beginner be gentle.
    Welcome in the bowhunter camp bsa30-06. Nothing to be made fun off here. I still shoot my 30" Buckmaster bow and aluminum shafts with Magnus broadheads. Never used a stabilizer and never saw any need for one. Until two month ago I used one old steel pin set at 15 yards and never would have changed it if True-Glo would not have let me have the sight after a field testing it for them. I still get as much out of this setup as others with the best of everything. My bow hand arrows have served me very well in getting game.

My advice to you is this: Don't get carried away with gadgets. It's you that makes the shot and not the bow, arrows and other gadgets. A lot of equipment and changes will only set you up for worries and upsets. Keep it simple, specially at the beginning, and practise a lot. In the practise it does not matter how many arrows you can sling at the target in the shortest time. What matters is quality over the quantity. It's better to shoot just one good arrow per session than 10 bad ones. At the beginning keep the practise short, maybe 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Shoot less time but more often during the day. Shoot every arrow like it would be the only one you have. To avoid "target panic" let the string down at times without making the shoot. This will ingrain in your brain that you do not have to shoot every time you pull the string back. More archers suffer from target panic than rifle shooters.

I wish you the best of luck and onse again welcome in the archery camp, you just added another tool in you bag of tricks to prolong your hunting season.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 03-05-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Lots of great advice here, bsa30-06. And welcome to the world of archery.

The outfit you got will serve you just fine and it's excellent that you have joined the Burnaby club. Get all the critiquing that you can (there will be lots of volunteers); the initial learning curve will be steep but rewarding.

Be sure you are set up with the correct draw length, have some of the experienced members observe and guide you in your form, don't release an arrow unless you are holding steady on the target as opposed to wobbling past it, etc etc.

I have used about all the common types of arrow rests known to man and there are advantages and disadvantages to all. I never got groups as tight with a Whisker Biscuit as with a drop-away, although they were plenty good enough for hunting conditions. Like willyqbc, I don't want anything whatsoever touching my fletching as it leaves the bow. But the WB is great for keeping an arrow from flopping around, often important in hunting situations.

I heartily recommend attending some 3D events. Don't worry about being way behind the rest of the pack; we all started out that way. It's just a real fun way to go in archery and you will improve quickly. Just have one or two extra arrows.

And good for you for not considering hunting until you're proficient.

Thanxs for all the advice ,comments, and help guys, maybe one day we will be shooting together at a 3D somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06
    Thanxs for all the advice ,comments, and help guys, maybe one day we will be shooting together at a 3D somewhere.
    I very much hope so. Or share a hunting camp.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Hey BSA, it has all been said here already, but having changed over to carbons from aluminum 2 years ago, it really can save you money and makes a marked improvement in your shooting quality...imo....As well, I am a proud Browning owner...I like the advice about not getting hung up on gadgets, as it really comes down to who is holding the bow...I have hunted with a lot of people with way more expensive set ups than me, and at the end of the day I have put more meat in the freezer than they have... One thing, remember, follow through, follow through all the time!!

Best of luck and enjoy yourself...

Craig
    It's ok to get excited, just learn to control it.....If you don't get excited, might as well go home!!