Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some good news on the Conservation front

Some good news on the Conservation front

More Conservation Officers As part of B.C.'s continued commitment to the environment and to the protection of valuable habitat and wildlife, the Ministry of Environment's Conservation Officer Service (COS) is recruiting 18 additional seasonal conservation officers (COs) to serve across the province this year, Environment Minister Barry Penner announced today.

The seasonal officers will start work in May, and continue until late fall. This will allow them to be on the ground during hunting seasons, at peak times for angling, and throughout the summer and early fall when most human-wildlife conflicts tend to occur.

At the end of every year, the ministry evaluates the program and makes recommendations for future deployments. This year, seasonal COs will be deployed to the following communities: North Vancouver, Whistler, Port Hardy, Sechelt, Campbell River, Fernie, Vernon, Castlegar, Kelowna, Invermere, Dease Lake, Fort St. John, Burns Lake, Williams Lake, Prince George, Chetwynd and Vanderhoof.

I just read this on www.castanet.net I sure hope that this is followed through on. I have heard way to many problems from the shortage of CO'S over the last few years, whether it be poachers or problem animals I think this will help.

As much of an inconvenience it can be being stopped by CO while hunting or fishing I think this will be good. Although it has been quite a number of years since I have been stopped. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15-20yrs I think. Heck I think I would kind of like to be stopped by a CO when hunting or fishing just to know that there is someone out there helping to preserve our precious commodity.

What is everyone else's opinion on this matter?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Some good news on the Conservation front

It doesn't bother me they are out there to catch people breaking the rules so it will not effect me. I get stopped every year a couple times by CO's but I think its mostly because I like to hunt on roads with vechicle restrictions and they tend to watch those spots more during hunting season. I like our local CO's they seem like a good bunch of guys. Last spring after a quick license check the fella told me "to hurry fast up the road because a nice black bear was on a grassy slide". And it was a nice bear to the tune of just over six feet and really tasty

It's about time, I wonder if this will bring them anywhere close to the staffing levels they had in the past though?? I do think though that some of the things the COs do should be contracted out...ie problem bears...you sure don't need all that training to trap a bear.

PGKris Guest

Problem: Seasonal only.

The more co's the better in my opinion, there's need for one full time in the Skagit valley alone....

Apparantly they tried this last year and they could only fill 13 out of 18 positions. also it more than likely will not catch up to the total they had before the lay offs a few years back.

Well - I generally don't like the idea of 'seasonal', because the guys don't get the time to meet people in the area and get a feel for the place, and they CAN SOMETIMES be a little more officious than 'lifers'.

But - god knows we could use some more CO's, if they're focused on the poachers and doing their job right, i say more is better.

This is good news except that list only had Campbell River as the only area on the island. I have only bumped into 2 conservation officers on the island in my life. Both times fishing never hunting. I think there should be a few more here on the island but I'm glad there is more being spread out all around the province. I don't think you can eliminate poaching but you can put a dent in it with more FULL time officers not just seasonal.

I went out along Chilliwack river valley system yesterday and I was glad to get stopped and checked by 2 COs. That's the second time in 2 years I've been checked over for proper licensing/unloaded firearms in vehicle/animals harvested. Last years check was in MU 5-03 during a busy doe draw. I had never seen a CO in the previous 15 years out in the woods!(MU 2,3,5,

Good start but more needed and on the island too!