Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spatzizi Provincial Park open discussion

Re: Spatzizi Provincial Park open discussion

I did a trip about through the Spatsizi about 10 years ago. We paid Hal (Tatogga Lake) to drive us to the trail head. We then carried our gear 5 km to the Spatsizi River and proceeded to drift through the park connecting up with the Stikine and down to the Highway 37 bridge. We were not interested in shooting a moose on the Klappan grade. We even passed on a nice bull. Are the natives stopping hunters wanting to hunt just the park? What about canoeists (non hunters) wanting to do a similar trip in the fall?

One aspect of this issue that needs to be realized is that this whole thing has a great deal to do with guide-outfitters in the area, some of whom are Tahltan and some who are not.

The reason for the blockades (supposedly) was that the non-native hunt was infringing on Section 35 FSC harvesting rights. Only resident hunters were stopped, non-residents were unaffected.

What is becoming apparent now is that there is a push to turn these Section 35 rights to harvest for food and ceremonial purposes into a right to change this allocation into a commercial hunt (i.e. guided). This statement was made at a recent meeting regarding hunting in the Stikine Parks.

The silent culprits in this discussion are the MOE bureaucrats who prefer the non-hunting use of Parks over us hunters. Although hunters (resident and guided) make up 80% to 90% of the Spatsizi visitors it is a constant battle with Parks Branch who choose to restrict and limit hunters while encouraging use by the leaf-lickin' crowd.

MOE at this time is contemplating reducing the moose season in the Klappan from 90 days to 30 days, and from 90 days to 60 days in the rest of area North of the Stikine. They have stated clearly this reduction in opportunity is not being done as a conservation concern for moose.

MOE no longer advocates for hunters like they should. They also prefer people management over real wildlife management.

Hunting is a legitimate and historical use in Spatsizi, and all the Northern Parks, and it was hunters who lead the fight to protect the area from industrial development. Why then are we treated like a second-class?

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    Bottem line to me, at the Black Hole or the Klapan site, hold those leaving the mess or blocking the road accountable for their actions. If you don't, by your/our acquiescence you/we legitimise it and as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't matter what group, ethnic or otherwise!!

exactly....... rip the blocks up and then deal with the problem

Devilbear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    One aspect of this issue that needs to be realized is that this whole thing has a great deal to do with guide-outfitters in the area, some of whom are Tahltan and some who are not.

The reason for the blockades (supposedly) was that the non-native hunt was infringing on Section 35 FSC harvesting rights. Only resident hunters were stopped, non-residents were unaffected.

What is becoming apparent now is that there is a push to turn these Section 35 rights to harvest for food and ceremonial purposes into a right to change this allocation into a commercial hunt (i.e. guided). This statement was made at a recent meeting regarding hunting in the Stikine Parks.

The silent culprits in this discussion are the MOE bureaucrats who prefer the non-hunting use of Parks over us hunters. Although hunters (resident and guided) make up 80% to 90% of the Spatsizi visitors it is a constant battle with Parks Branch who choose to restrict and limit hunters while encouraging use by the leaf-lickin' crowd.

MOE at this time is contemplating reducing the moose season in the Klappan from 90 days to 30 days, and from 90 days to 60 days in the rest of area North of the Stikine. They have stated clearly this reduction in opportunity is not being done as a conservation concern for moose.

MOE no longer advocates for hunters like they should. They also prefer people management over real wildlife management.

Hunting is a legitimate and historical use in Spatsizi, and all the Northern Parks, and it was hunters who lead the fight to protect the area from industrial development. Why then are we treated like a second-class?

As a lifelong,, leaflickin', treehuggin', tofu-lovin' and bush workin' and huntin' BC boy, I gotta say that this is a hell of a fine post. I don't trust the MOE, the BCFS, Parks who have some of the most arrogant and lazy azzholes "working" for them or any other aspect of government.

The "environmental movement" that people like me started back in the '60s is LONG dead and those spouting the credo now are cheap opportunists trying to become famous enough to obtain political office and the salary/perks that go with it....I despise all of them and know many of them personally. I especially loath David Suzuki although I accept his brilliance as a geneticist.

What to do? PROTEST AND BLOCKADE BACK!!! Fuggem, pick a controversial place and LOCK IT UP!

Quote Originally Posted by one horn buck View Post
    tell that to the goverment or the general public see if they wiil agree with you good luck!.... keep on dreaming.
    Oh I know.
    Laws should have no variables.
    I get a kick out of the "exceptions" and the clowns that make them.

Why not block these people from coming OUT.
    Most blasters I know are hunters, I'm sure they wouldnt mind helping our cause
    Or better yet, block the pricks in that wont rectify the situation and ENFORCE the laws.
    Once again, maybe the problem isnt the natives.
    Look at it this way, all sorts of laws are broken. Our legal system is supposed to be in place to ensure those people are dealt with and to at least make it difficult for that person(s) to continue to hinder the rest of us.
    So its a given these laws are going to be broken, no individual owes the rest of us anything or has made no promise not to act a certain way but the problem is they are getting away with what they are doing, so obviously they wont stop.
    In reality its our own system failing us and if the people involved in the system wont deal with it, we need people that will.

They're allowing one party to hold the dynamite and the other to wave a flame from the other side. The fuse is only so long and its just a matter of time til the problem explodes and what was preventable at one time becomes too late and results in a tragedy.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 02-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

BTS... speaking of explosions.... I have an idea..... I seems us petty, last in line resident hunters are always getting the shaft!
    The guides and natives want to use the road for easy access to hunting, but keep us out????
    Anyone got some dynamite????
    Sneak into a narrow or steep place of access and blow the road sky high!
    Hike in only area???? Access only to those who will WORK for it...this will weed out the indians real fast!!!
    Can you tell I have given up on doing things the legal way! It costs too much money, takes too long, just to find out you lose anyway!

Kaboom, issue resolved, they would go home and wish they hadn't started $h!t.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

A 'ram's eye' view of the Klappan, for those of you who have never been -

Hopefully we don't run into the same issues this fall

Native people that are doing this I for one don't like it but it has happened and that they the government should do something to solve this problem ..
    The Native people I would say they would probably have rights to this land and there is always a way around it by talks..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 02-15-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    It is the Tahltan that are keeping Shell out of the Klappan not the hunters and not the government. Shell wants to drill for coal-bed methane.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Native people that are doing this I for one don't like it but it has happened and that they the government should do something to solve this problem ..
    The Native people I would say they would probably have rights to this land and there is always a way around it by talks..
    I would assume then, our Government did not do it’s homework and is totally out of touch with FN, Traditional Lands used by the Toltan Bands in the creation of the Provincial Park. While it is true that Toltan ‘’Trails’’ obliterate the Provincial Park from the Klappan to Caribou Hide and beyond, should studies not have been made in advance before it’s creation. What exactly then, is the roll of the Parks Board and are other Provincial Parks now in jeopardy?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to'The Canadian Government ' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'