Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spatzizi Provincial Park open discussion

Hybrid View

Spatzizi Provincial Park open discussion

I would like to know in a ''civil discussion'', what are the Forum Members views when roads are being blocked by Natives, denying the Canadian Public access to a Provincial Park. A Park created so Canadians could ''All'' benefit. Keep it civil or they will shut us down.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to'The Canadian Government ' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spatzizi Provincial Park open discussion

can someone fill in what is exactly happening? I am very uneducated as to what the problem is.

they are breaking the law there is no grey area

I think members of the general public will be more interested in removing native blockades for access to parks, than just access to hunters.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

you know...
    back when the huggers blocked Carmanah / walbran an then clayoquot sound the same thing happened as this klapan etc only one was white and one was indian they were for two different reasons but access was blocked in both cases.
    Who cares white or brown look at the isseu.
    thoes of you who think only indians have blocked roads look again white huggers did it befor Oka.
    again i dont aggree in any case mentioned here but remove the native factor from the discussion, other than it is indians doing it
    look at the isseu

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    I tried in post #2. Not trying to high jack the thread, but a side issue to the Carmnan/Walbran protest, I had a couple of occasions to go to the west coast of the island when that was in progress. Their 'area' of note, called the Black Hole, was well named. I found it amazing the mess this supposed environmentally conscience group left behind for locals to clean up.
    Trust me i know,
    it was a mess, two tandom dump trucks to clean it and they burned down a bridge. Justifying it by saying "the loggers are making a bigger mess and this is our statement"
    As i said i do not agree with these methods i was just stating that white guys do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    Bottem line to me, at the Black Hole or the Klapan site, hold those leaving the mess or blocking the road accountable for their actions. If you don't, by your/our acquiescence you/we legitimise it and as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't matter what group, ethnic or otherwise!!

exactly....... rip the blocks up and then deal with the problem

One aspect of this issue that needs to be realized is that this whole thing has a great deal to do with guide-outfitters in the area, some of whom are Tahltan and some who are not.

The reason for the blockades (supposedly) was that the non-native hunt was infringing on Section 35 FSC harvesting rights. Only resident hunters were stopped, non-residents were unaffected.

What is becoming apparent now is that there is a push to turn these Section 35 rights to harvest for food and ceremonial purposes into a right to change this allocation into a commercial hunt (i.e. guided). This statement was made at a recent meeting regarding hunting in the Stikine Parks.

The silent culprits in this discussion are the MOE bureaucrats who prefer the non-hunting use of Parks over us hunters. Although hunters (resident and guided) make up 80% to 90% of the Spatsizi visitors it is a constant battle with Parks Branch who choose to restrict and limit hunters while encouraging use by the leaf-lickin' crowd.

MOE at this time is contemplating reducing the moose season in the Klappan from 90 days to 30 days, and from 90 days to 60 days in the rest of area North of the Stikine. They have stated clearly this reduction in opportunity is not being done as a conservation concern for moose.

MOE no longer advocates for hunters like they should. They also prefer people management over real wildlife management.

Hunting is a legitimate and historical use in Spatsizi, and all the Northern Parks, and it was hunters who lead the fight to protect the area from industrial development. Why then are we treated like a second-class?

Devilbear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    One aspect of this issue that needs to be realized is that this whole thing has a great deal to do with guide-outfitters in the area, some of whom are Tahltan and some who are not.

The reason for the blockades (supposedly) was that the non-native hunt was infringing on Section 35 FSC harvesting rights. Only resident hunters were stopped, non-residents were unaffected.

What is becoming apparent now is that there is a push to turn these Section 35 rights to harvest for food and ceremonial purposes into a right to change this allocation into a commercial hunt (i.e. guided). This statement was made at a recent meeting regarding hunting in the Stikine Parks.

The silent culprits in this discussion are the MOE bureaucrats who prefer the non-hunting use of Parks over us hunters. Although hunters (resident and guided) make up 80% to 90% of the Spatsizi visitors it is a constant battle with Parks Branch who choose to restrict and limit hunters while encouraging use by the leaf-lickin' crowd.

MOE at this time is contemplating reducing the moose season in the Klappan from 90 days to 30 days, and from 90 days to 60 days in the rest of area North of the Stikine. They have stated clearly this reduction in opportunity is not being done as a conservation concern for moose.

MOE no longer advocates for hunters like they should. They also prefer people management over real wildlife management.

Hunting is a legitimate and historical use in Spatsizi, and all the Northern Parks, and it was hunters who lead the fight to protect the area from industrial development. Why then are we treated like a second-class?

As a lifelong,, leaflickin', treehuggin', tofu-lovin' and bush workin' and huntin' BC boy, I gotta say that this is a hell of a fine post. I don't trust the MOE, the BCFS, Parks who have some of the most arrogant and lazy azzholes "working" for them or any other aspect of government.

The "environmental movement" that people like me started back in the '60s is LONG dead and those spouting the credo now are cheap opportunists trying to become famous enough to obtain political office and the salary/perks that go with it....I despise all of them and know many of them personally. I especially loath David Suzuki although I accept his brilliance as a geneticist.

What to do? PROTEST AND BLOCKADE BACK!!! Fuggem, pick a controversial place and LOCK IT UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    As a lifelong,, leaflickin', treehuggin', tofu-lovin' and bush workin' and huntin' BC boy, I gotta say that this is a hell of a fine post. I don't trust the MOE, the BCFS, Parks who have some of the most arrogant and lazy azzholes "working" for them or any other aspect of government.

The "environmental movement" that people like me started back in the '60s is LONG dead and those spouting the credo now are cheap opportunists trying to become famous enough to obtain political office and the salary/perks that go with it....I despise all of them and know many of them personally. I especially loath David Suzuki although I accept his brilliance as a geneticist.

What to do? PROTEST AND BLOCKADE BACK!!! Fuggem, pick a controversial place and LOCK IT UP!
    Amhen brother!!!!!