Thread: Young hunters

Young hunters

Ok -- Around and around I go. I keep trying to get this answered for sure correctly. My son is 10. Can he complete CORE, get his own hunting #, hunting license and his own limit?

From the synopsis:

"When a BC resident who is 10 years of age or older completes CORE, he or she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter Number Card, and to have a bag limit of his or her own, to purchase a hunting license, and to enter the limited entry hunting draw."

This seems pretty obvious. However everyone I seem to talk to claims that this is the statement that matters, also from the synopsis:

"In order to purchase a hunting licence, a BC resident 14 years of age or older, must show their valid Hunter Number Card."

Seems a little contradictory, doesn't it? These statements are found on page 7 & 8 of the synopsis.

Any CO's on here that can enlighten me? I have also read about the Junior Hunting Licence but this does not require CORE and does not provide the junior with his own bag limit.

Thanks for your help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Young hunters

You can take CORE at age 10. I did it when I was 10 and so did my son and nephew.

My daughter did at 10 and shot 2 deer last year

Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    Ok -- Around and around I go. I keep trying to get this answered for sure correctly. My son is 10. Can he complete CORE, get his own hunting #, hunting license and his own limit?

From the synopsis:

"When a BC resident who is 10 years of age or older completes CORE, he or she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter Number Card, and to have a bag limit of his or her own, to purchase a hunting license, and to enter the limited entry hunting draw."

This seems pretty obvious. However everyone I seem to talk to claims that this is the statement that matters, also from the synopsis:

"In order to purchase a hunting licence, a BC resident 14 years of age or older, must show their valid Hunter Number Card."

Seems a little contradictory, doesn't it? These statements are found on page 7 & 8 of the synopsis.

Any CO's on here that can enlighten me? I have also read about the Junior Hunting Licence but this does not require CORE and does not provide the junior with his own bag limit.

Thanks for your help!
    The reason they appear contradictory is because under the age of 14 you can have either your own hunter number and license (CORE required first) or a junior license under your guardian's bag limit (core not required). The happens from 10-13 (under 14 ).

Once you turn 14 you MUST have a hunter number and your own hunting license to hunt.

So yes, your son can take the CORE get his own hunter number, put in for LEH (including the youth/new hunter hunts) and get a hunting license with his own bag limit.

Good luck.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Well I learned something new today!! Sons are 5 and 3 Yahooooo only 5 more years!! Thx for the info!!

Short answer..YES

Yes my 13 year old son hunted on his own bag limit last year and was also checked by a CO. As was stated already a person under 14 can hunt on a junior license and work off of your bag limit without taking the core. But after 14 that is no longer availeable.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

excellent! That is what I thought, but kept getting told otherwise. To CORE he will go. Happy hunting.