Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good boots for Sheep Hunting

Re: Good boots for Sheep Hunting

Kennetreks are made by the old owner/maker of schnees now I'm told and apparently has upped the quality even more, not that they were a poor choice before.
    I'll echo, Meindls are GARBAGE and I have had 3 pairs in 3 different models now that 2 broke down/failed within 3 months of use and the one set that was "ok" was ruined by them on a warranty return and then proceeded to tell me I 'neglected' them and was S.O.L

I would like to buy hanwags but I have a REAL hard time buying from the same people who make Meindls.
    I will likely buy a set of kennetreks and one other brand which is still to be determined and report back to hopefully help as a future reference for the hard decision of boot shopping (one of the hardest IMO)
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 02-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Its a real shame that it seems Meindle has gone for a crapper. My old Meindle Super Cracks are some of the best boots I have ever owned.

I am currently using Lowa Sheep Hunter GTXs. I am very pleased with them so far. They are a long way from being worn out at this point.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post

Im in the market for new boots, Ill check into them Diotto's at robertsons this week and let you guys know!

Just for anyone interested, Robertsons in Kelowna still has some Diotto's left but says they can no longer get them!
    I tried on a pair and loved em, bought them on the spot!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Curious to hear more from everyone regarding the problems with meindle. I bought a pair directly from Meindle about 5 years ago, put them through numerous sheep hunts, moose hunts,etc. (guiding) and they never gave me any problems. Still waterproof, had to shoe goo the soles this past year, but other than that I thought they were god's gift to foot wear! Are the bad ones perhaps the cheaper models made in conjunction with Cabela's?

To answer the original question differently, get a pair of Full Shank boots with high, waterproof uppers. Make sure you walk them out before you go sheep hunting with them.

hotshoe,

you are for sure right about the Cabelas Meidls however the problem goes further than that. Do a quick search on this site and you'll find some "fun filled" threads about the problems. Pictures and everything!

or better yet, ask BCRams to forward you the links.

For what its worth, I bought a pair of Canada Pros in 2004 and they were absolutely awesome!
    Last edited by budismyhorse; 02-12-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Devilbear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I work in the forestry industry and put on the miles. I am currently wearing scarpa liskamms and they are a good boot but I absolutely love my Canada Pros by Meindl. For sheep country the Scarpas have the edge but for day to day the higher cuff and comfort of the meindl are my personal favorite. The best boots are the ones that are the most comfortable and functional for what you do. The Liskamms are more boot than 90% of hunters need. The Canada pros are my recomendation for a high end all purpose boot.

Brenden
    Where in BC can you find Scarpa Liskamms, I want a pair of these badly.

I have the Kenetreks and love them. I have done mostly deer huntin in them but have done one goat hunt. Mine seem to be holdin up well. I will keep an eye on the soles. I personally dont like vibram soles. Not much traction and noisy but not quite as noisy as my worn out knee. Crunch, Crunch. The bobsoles that come on Danners are the best traction you can find. A bobsole on a pair of Kenetreks would be the ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    I know the Valhalla Pure Outfitters in Smithers used to carry them, I tried them out when out there for work. They did not fit my feet right. Haven't stopped in there for a while but I would imagine they can bring them in if not still stocking...
    Twist and pull.

I've been wearing Schnees Hunters with the boob sole for years and I love them.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post

These will be my next pair of mountain boots. I have seen them at MEC and VPO......