Thread: coyotes....from raven thread

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

coyotes....from raven thread

My brother was a foreman on a large ranch not far from the Logan Lake area. For many years they constantly had coyotes around the ranch all the time without any incidents with their calves until a big male showed up and not only went after some calves, it would brazenly come right up onto their lawn etc. even during the day. My brother had 2 very young girls that played on the lawn, so he shot it. Unfortunately, the coyote had already taught it's young to go after calves as well, and my Brother and ranch hands had to shoot several coyotes before things went back to normal. They really didn't want to shoot all the coyotes on the ranch because they did a great job keeping the rodents in check. The ranch has since been sold, and I understand the new owners shoot any coyotes that they see, even though they bought the ranch to raise horses.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: coyotes....from raven thread

am i missing something here?

I guess that the new owners can do as they see fit.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

They really didn't want to shoot all the coyotes on the ranch

I work pedator control on a cattle operation. We will run close to 8000 head of cows. Each year we have in the neighbourhood of 2000 - 2500 calves. During calving season I am in the cows from first light and throughout the day. Coyotes are a tough, resilient animal. It has been proven time and again that there is no way that you are going to get rid of them. You will knock them down but Mother nature does not like a vaccuum. I have kept records for every year that I have worked on the ranch and average about 45 every year with no decernable change in numbers. Some years a few less, other years a few more but it has been consistant for years. Once the calves are turned out we back off until next season and start all over again.

As "Pete" says, even if you wanted to, you can't completely eliminate coyotes from large tracts of range. There has been several articles about the coyote problem in the maritimes since a young woman was attacked and killed. The coyotes in that area have been getting larger and larger over the years, and seem to be taking over the role of the former wolf. There has been many attempts to reduce their population, including finding their dens, all ending in failure. The ranch my brother worked on had a tremendous amount of varied terrian, perfect for a healthy coyote population. There were dwellings along the long calving meadows, so it was easy to keep an eye on the calving as everyone, including women and kids, participated. Everyone had quick access to a rifle if they saw a coyote in those meadows during calving. Aside from calving, severe cold, and health complications, they actually lost more calves to black bears once the cows and calves were turned out onto range.

You guys listen to CBC radio today? Supposed to be some wolf/yote cross (called bush wolves) going after and killing a ranchers Mamoth Donkeys in Manitoba.
    These special Donkeys are so tough and huge that they are used to protect other livestock. She lost a total of two donkeys and a filly.

Anyway. These Bush Wolves are supposed to be extremely violent and smart. She also mentioned no one has seen any rabbits this winter.

big lew is yor brothers name roger??

Quote Originally Posted by Laurence_Erickson View Post
    big lew is yor brothers name roger??
    I have no idea who this Roger fellow, the Logan Lake redneck, rancher, logger, former Interfor log buyer and seller, could be.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_k View Post
    You guys listen to CBC radio today? Supposed to be some wolf/yote cross (called bush wolves) going after and killing a ranchers Mamoth Donkeys in Manitoba.
    These special Donkeys are so tough and huge that they are used to protect other livestock. She lost a total of two donkeys and a filly.

Anyway. These Bush Wolves are supposed to be extremely violent and smart. She also mentioned no one has seen any rabbits this winter.
    That reminds me of a time when I used to guide up the Kechika.....

We were losing all our mature Rams and well, I'll tell ya, lots of clients were going home empty handed, and not booking trips for next year.
    We tried to track the varmints at fault, but found nothing...until, one day, it snowed, and we got lucky.
    We found the biggest cat tracks any one of us had ever seen!
    We rode back to camp, filled up on food and water, and we were off!
    Day after long, bitter cold day we stayed on the tracks. Lost 'em now and then, but always managed to pick em up just as we were losing hope. We were thinking of turning back after six days on the trail when we heard a scream that would curdle milk, and freeze the blood in your veins. White faced, we looked up the cliff face to our left and there, to our disbelief and horror, was a Sabre Toothed Tiger!
    Unable to move, we were helpless. Thankfully the instincts of our trusty mounts saved the day and, I'm not ashamed to admit, our hides..
    The horses bolted, rearing and screaming, and headed for the draw.
    The Sabre Toothed Tiger leaped off the cliff, narrowly missing my horse, and tangled with a Fainting Goat, which we use as pack animals.
    The goat, not surprisingly, promptly fainted.
    The sounds of tearing flesh could be heard all up the trail as we rode into the setting sun. relieved of a goat, and relieved that we weren't Tiger food.
    And that Pardners, is the last time I guided up the Kechika.

"Pardner" LMAO

Priceless! Welcome back EMC. "Ewe" were missed.