View Poll Results: Is it legal to have a loaded firearm inside your tent while camping on crown land?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

193 81.43%
  • No

44 18.57%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal???

Re: Is it legal???

While I'm in the tent the shotty's on my bag under my cot .
    Mag full of slugs, chamber empty, safety off.
    When I'm not in the tent I'm hunting so I have a loaded gun in my hands.
    Then the shotty's empty and locked up.
    The West Is The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hunter View Post
    BOOTS, you have much to learn about reality and not just text book quoting and all the rest of that mumbo jumbo what if crap
    i agree x2

When are we going to get the answer?

Phone the CO's you will have your answer right away

Quote Originally Posted by sammy-j-peppers View Post
    Old gatehouse has it spot on. It is a 100% legal to have a loaded firearm inside your tent (even while sleeping) As long as you are in an area that allows legal discharging of a firearm. A tent is not considered a residence. It is a temporary shelter. (examples tent, hunting blind, tarp, ...)

This question came up after those guys had a grizzly jump on their tent in the east koots this last fall. The one guy told the news he was now going to start to keep his rifle loaded while he sleeps. A coworker made a comment about how silly he was being telling them he was going to do something illegal.

As mentioned at the begining I called the RCMP, two local CO's and talking to someone at the chief firearms office. They all gave me the same response.

it was already given.......

hehehe. Like I said, I'm not a hunter. Yet. I'm learning.

But I'm also not one of these losers who has to qualify myself with a little resume before stating my opinion. As a person who is 6'4, I can tell you that I need a longer inseam to my trousers than someone who is 5'8". I hate those people.

So let's just say, I'm not giving the 'textbook' answer about tactitcal shotgun, and leave it at that.
    I am a totally cluless newbie. My hunting knowledge consists of Step1) Go in to the woods Step2) Shoot a deer... and that's it. I would like to learn some basic skills so I will be ready for the Fall 2010 season, and am taking steps to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post

But I'm also not one of these losers who has to qualify myself with a little resume before stating my opinion. As a person who is 6'4, I can tell you that I need a longer inseam to my trousers than someone who is 5'8". I hate those people.
    What !!!! that's relevant ? How?

]
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post
    Rule #3 is muzzle control. How can you control the muzzle if you're sawing logs in your tent? I don't know about you, but when I'm asleep I'm asleep. Out cold. I roll around in my sleep too, I suspect you do too. Tents are usually tight spaces. I don't want to be rolling around in a tent with a fully loaded shotgun, put it in a case.
    Point it in a safe direction before going to sleep. It's not going to jostle itself into pointing at your ear.

Because -you- are probably a responsible firearms owner and so are your friends. However spend one saturday at the PoCo range and you wil see that there are a LOT of gun numpties out there, that really shouldn't have more supervision.
    We aren't talking abotu the PoCO range...

To prevent an accident.
    But if you have an empty chamber, and put your gun beside you and go to sleep, it's nto going to chamber a round by itself...

Since we're talking about bear defence, we'll work with the concept of a 12ga. The 12ga, with either slug or 000/00 buck inside, is a devestating weapon. When it goes off, anyone hit with it at close range is goine to die, period. Getting hit by 2 to 5 >.32 caliber pellets in the centre-mass/torso will kill you, maybe not instantly but soon enough you will be dead. Getting a full load of buckshot won't even give you time to think about how much you wasted your life, you will be dead before that happens. Shotguns are the most dangerous of all firearms because of this, and need to be treated as such.

Leaving a shotgun -fully- loaded, 4 in the tube one in the chamber, and just relying on the saftey being on is just plain dumb. I don't care what the law says, it's a bad idea. The 870 has a cross bolt saftey, but the mossy 590 is completely different, and the winchester 1100 is another design or maybe you have an Ithica? What about all these cheapo chinese clones people are buying? Are you going to rely on that saftey being on and that it's a completely 100% working saftey? N-F-W says I. Leave one out of the chamber until you are ready to shoot.

Putting just 4 in the tube, none in the chamber and leaving the saftey off is still not making the weapon safe. By turning the saftey on you're making the gun as safe as possible given the circumstances. If it's your gun, you know the condition of it. But your buddy doesnt know. Maybe you have the gun rigged to slam fire. Maybe the firing pin is sticky. Maybe, maybe maybe. Too many variables for such a dangerous weapon.

By leaving one out of the chamber and the saftey on, it's also far better to articulate the conscientious descision to shoot. In order to fire the gun, you had to rack the action, turn the saftey off, aim and squeeze. There's no denying you made that conscientious decision to shoot Yogi. For somebody else, using it in a panic, they can pick it up and it won't work until they slow their thought process down enough to rack the action, turn the saftey off and shoot. If Yogi's mauling me, I don't want some nervous nelly to be shooting, I want someone who's calmed down enough to figure out how to work the damned gun.

For bear defence, this is an emergency saftey device. I wouldn't leave somethign that my life depends on unattended or in a state where another person could alter the condition I left it in. When you loaded the shotgun, you knew what ammo you put in it. Some people like to put a sock round or a banger in the tube first, others like straight slugs, or a mix of slug and buck, or just buck. Point is, if you're loading that gun for your own defence you better know what the hell is in that thing, and be double damn certain nobody's monkied with it since you loaded it. The last thing I'd want is to have Yogi mauling my buddy, then go to fire off what I think is a 1oz slug and all that happens is "bang-screech-flash" coming out of the gun.

Poop happens. We all know this. When it does, I like to be ready for it and not bubmling around wondering where I left my gun and not being certain of the condition it is in. I want it in a place where I know it is, where I know what ammunition is in it, and in a state that is safe to pick up and use in a critical stress situation.

But that's me, I'm not a hunter (yet).

I have a feeling you may be over thinking this....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Why do I think of these sort of shotguns when I read this thread?

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I am with Gatehouse on this Boots, there is safe handling and then there is blindly following the gun laws, what we are doing is legal and anyways I would rather be alive to pay a fine than dead and not able. By the way boots are all that would be left is a pile of clothes and an empty gun oh and your Boots.
    Originally Posted by Gatehouse "I don't worry about the trim on rifle scopes. Probably because I have never caught the ghey."