Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Detune Excalibur

Re: Detune Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinajeep View Post
    Do they not allow range finders at these shoots? I find it to be a big part of my shooting, both target and hunting. I have a mid-price-range finder and use it to glass with it on scan and find it makes everything go very smooth. I know yard estimation was a big part of old school bow hunting but as for ranging 30-50 yards I would not feel comfortable hunting that far out with out my finder. Laze-shoot-eat!!
    if you have to range animals to shoot it will be more like

laze -no shot-tag soup...rangeing takes to much time and to much movement

Quote Originally Posted by hardnocks View Post
    laze -no shot-tag soup...rangeing takes to much time and to much movement

Totaly, 100% disagree with you there. Live animals deserve a lethal shot. Using a range finder on shots more than 25 yards will make that much more probable.
    So many things can make an animal look closer or farther away. Across a creek or gully, a bit of fog or snow, even body size.
    Many archers can make a forty yard shot easily, IF they know it's forty. But if they guess forty and it's thirty-five or forty-five instead, then there may well be a wounded, non-recovered animal.

You may have the skill to accurately estimate distances out to fifty or sixty yards, but I'll wager that most don't.

Is it really fair to tell someone that they have to practice judging yardage for years, before they can hunt?
    It's fun and educational on the range, but, IMO, not advisable in the field.
    Use a range-finder.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

I totally agree Ambush ... I missed a shot on a grouse this year ... If I had ranged him I would know that he was 45 yrds ... I jacked him for 35 (evidently he was a big P&Y Grouse) ... Both the guy I was with (who is really good at yardage I have thought over the years ) and I thought him to be about 35 or so ...untill he picked up my laser ..and tagged him at 45

You all can figure the result of that ... My grouse tag that day was unfilled
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

then we will disagree. try rangeing a blacktail or better yet a turkey and get a shot. judgeing distance is just part of the whole bowhunting package.

then we will disagree. try rangeing a blacktail or better yet a turkey and get a shot. judgeing distance is just part of the whole bowhunting package.
    That is why you laser landmarks while you are set up in your blind waiting for that turkey or Blacktail to come in .... so you dont have to at the moment of truth
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

ha ha but it all comes back to . 3d is practice not only for shooting but most importantly range estimation.

ha ha but it all comes back to . 3d is practice not only for shooting but most importantly range estimation.
    absolutly ... I agree .... but what Ambush and I are saying is ... we owe it to the critters to get the best shot possible .... I know that you have miss judged a 3d target a time or 2 and shot it for a nickle .... if you havent ..either you havent shot many 3ds or you are the best in the world ...and why the hell are you working for a livin then ...
    A true Archery Nut

but this all got started by mikeinajeep wanting to use a range finder at a 3d shoot.

my comment was on lazer-shoot -eat. if you want to hunt like that you will eat a lot of tag soup. do i use a range finder... you bet.. but i also practice distance because it isn`t easy for me.

Ah hardnocks always glad to hear from you. My range finder is 2 inches above my scope and on scan. takes 2-4 seconds to get a reading. I really want to be better at eyeballing ranges but not when hunting. I think Ambush maybe the only one on here who thinks like me. Use the tools for the job at hand. I don't use a knife to open paint cans and I don't guess when killing something. If Bowzone can be off by 10 yards I would hate to see how far off us new to archery guys can be off. Even at 10 yards I could miss the sweet spot and I don't spend tons of time and money to miss. I spenT 4 hours at my range today torn over maybe one more click down, 4 hours over 1/2 an inch mean I want perfect.
    Last edited by mikeinajeep; 02-08-2010 at 03:39 AM.
    Are we having fun yet?

Are we having fun yet?