Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detune Excalibur

Detune Excalibur

Excalibur emailed me today about detuning my crossbow. It turns out that ALL excalibur limbs are the same and it is the stroke that makes the power numbers change. So I can't turn down the power to use it at 3D shoots. I guess bigger is not always better. I am thinking really really heavy arrows to come in under the speed rules, maybe fill one with with lead if they want to test the speed of my crossbow. Would that be wrong??
    Are we having fun yet?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Detune Excalibur

Where are they wanting a speed limit on crossbows. I haven't heard of that. We are having our shoot in a month and there is no speed restriction. If you have to do it, you are probably headed in the right direction by adding weight to the bolt, but you might have to shoot a piece of rebar to get it really slow

You could pick up a pro slider by 10 point for that.

3D rules state an arrow must be going less than 280 fps OR the arrow must weigh no less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight. So I'm guessing that unless his arrow is 750 grains on a 150 pound pull it would not be considered legal. You can get special rope to slide into the shaft to add weight and for some arrows you can get shaft length inserts to help bring your weight up to legal. Another option is to cut and slide a standard size shaft into the bolt....or whatever size fits snugly.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

LOL 150 lbs pull, girl crossbow! This is the problem my X-bow is alot bigger than that. I tried to detune it to that and that seems impossible, so now I need 1125 grain arrows.(5X225=1125) The Fps max at the Abby 3D is 350 and I am closer to 400 with the fire bolt arrows it comes with. Maybe rebar would work.
    Are we having fun yet?

something doesnt jive right with me ... not that I am the least bit interested in crossbows but why are the standard bow rules being applied to crossbows ... a crossbow is not a bow ...(in this sense of the word regaurding performance...so settle down )

since the FCA does not have a cross bow rule nor does it reconize crossbows as archery equipment, I took the liberty to peruse the IBO compition Crossbow rules

11. Crossbow (X-BOW)
    Crossbows must be standard production crossbows, however, minor modifications such as butt plates, strings, and the like shall be permitted as long as such modifications do not void the manufacturer's warranty or diminish designed safety standards. No Hooked Butts, Palm Rests, or extra equipment used for bracing will be allowed. (see Section IV, A, Bolts must be no less than 20/64ths in diameter and measure no shorter than 14 inches. All bolts must be identical in type and size and point weight. Bolts must use at least three (3) vanes or feathers and screw in field points. Crossbows shooting up to and including 300 fps must shoot bolts weighing no less than 400 grains. Crossbows shooting 301 to 325 fps must shoot bolts weighing no less than 425 grains. Crossbows shooting more than 325 fps must shoot bolts weighing no less than 450 grain. Any type of sight may be used. Any archer using a variable power scope shall be responsible to tape or otherwise secure the adjustment setting to create a fixed magnification, prior to beginning competition. X-BOW archers will shoot from the green stake.
    Crossbows must be in sound condition with a working safety. The crossbow shall not be cocked until the archer is at the stake and preparing to shoot. The safety must remain on until the archer is ready to shoot. The crossbow must be loaded while in a downward position and pointed in the direction of the target. No crossbow may be loaded while pointing up.

here is the link to the whole IBO rule book .... for crossbows you might want section 5 chapter 11
    http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2010%20IBO%20RULES.pdf

My humble opinion ... is you cannot expect a crossbow to follow the rules set forth for compound bows ...simply because they are not one and the same .... to do so is simply assinine the IBO rules stated above are IMHO again .. fair and easily obtainable and most of all allows more people to have fun at 3D archery

Mike

A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

my understanding is that just recently x-bows became recognized by the FCA. From what i can gather they are now covered by the insurance covered with BCAA memberships, I doubt that would be the case unless they had been officially recognized by the National governing body. I'll check it for sure and get back on this but I'm pretty sure they are recognized now.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

If your despirate you can always add string weight. Maybe even get another string made with the additional weight in the form of more strands/serving/silencers. Then you can use your regular string for hunting, and keep your speed down for 3D.
    Just an out of the box suggestion. Its a lot easier to take the speed off then put it on!

-Grant

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    something doesnt jive right with me ... not that I am the least bit interested in crossbows but why are the standard bow rules being applied to crossbows ... a crossbow is not a bow ...(in this sense of the word regaurding performance...so settle down )

since the FCA does not have a cross bow rule nor does it reconize crossbows as archery equipment, I took the liberty to peruse the IBO compition Crossbow rules

here is the link to the whole IBO rule book .... for crossbows you might want section 5 chapter 11
    http://www.ibo.net/pdf/2010%20IBO%20RULES.pdf

My humble opinion ... is you cannot expect a crossbow to follow the rules set forth for compound bows ...simply because they are not one and the same .... to do so is simply assinine the IBO rules stated above are IMHO again .. fair and easily obtainable and most of all allows more people to have fun at 3D archery

Mike

I agree Mike - somewhat. Crossbows are (IMO) definitely "archery" equipment. BUT. They are also definitely in a different class than compound bows, and as such should have their own sub-section in the rules. Which, apparently they do. So all is good. Now I'm "settled down".

I know this is going to start a fight but we all need to get mad once in while. I am telling wife wife about this thread over dinner and she says "is it really about speeds and weights or or is it X-bow will win alot because they are more accurate?" Fighting words I know but it makes you think.
    Are we having fun yet?