Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: lets see pictures of your hunting trucks and atv

Re: lets see pictures of your hunting trucks and atv

Ya won't regret flipping the Iltis. I always made sure I wore my most comfortable boots when I drove them in the Army...walking away from a broken down Iltis was an all too common event.

They look cool but...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter fisher View Post

this is my rig boys, complete with boat, quad, trailer, and if you look reaaaaaaal close, you can see a hard earned rack in the back!
    Sure like a 'regular cab' long wheelbase 4x4 ...... good looking rig!

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    Ya won't regret flipping the Iltis. I always made sure I wore my most comfortable boots when I drove them in the Army...walking away from a broken down Iltis was an all too common event.

They look cool but...
    Yes, they do look like a cool little rig. Is it a diesel? Any details on the type of failures?
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Gas. Basically the same engine as the Volkswagen Scirocco. Failures were varied. Overheating was not uncommon. Major electrical problems. No excuse for that, given that there was no computer. Just poor quality in general.

Remember...they were built by the lowest bidder...and a Quebec one at that !

I understand that the German ones were better but they were soon replaced by the G-wagon...an older design.

Northern BC, wherever gas in the truck will move me

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post

Remember...they were built by the lowest bidder...and a Quebec one at that !
    My understanding wasn't that it was built by the lowest bidder, but built by Bombardier at $85 000 each in 1984/85 dollars...part of a government contract bail out + Quebecois relationship building effort. Direct award, not bidding . Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee that the mentality was any better than lowest bidders.

Seems to be a number of electrical fixes (converting from 24 to 12v, fixing so that the battery isn't under a draw while its off, changing so that you don't need to use the same expensive spark plugs, etc) and I gather that the overheating cases were often due to three different circumstances - loading up of crap on the front bumper, doors being stored and laid over top of the hood, as well as the air intake (located unusually high and sealed for traversing deeper water).

The Volkswagen builds are generally more sought after due to the Bombardiers being ridden hard and put away wet by Canadian forces - seems like these were very often used to teach people how to drive stick.
    Last edited by Dukeoflawnchair; 05-26-2015 at 07:15 PM.

were's the engine?
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Sure like a 'regular cab' long wheelbase 4x4 ...... good looking rig!
    I agree as far as looks, a regular cab looks the best.
    but damn, I can't imagine driving one ever again, there's just no room for anything.

2007 Nissan Frontier Nismo (rear e-locker) with a 3 inch OME lift, 255/85r16 Toyo M55's, Shrockworks front and rear bumpers, Smittybilt x20 10k synthetic winch, and a Brightforce 20 inch light bar. I also have Thule load bars, a Swagman rear bike rack and several variations of sleep platforms for my 6ft box.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

9500 lb winch on the front, plug in winch on the back, 350 liters of fuel, big Toyo's, lots of clearance. 6 liter engine, lots of pull.

. . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post

9500 lb winch on the front, plug in winch on the back, 350 liters of fuel, big Toyo's, lots of clearance. 6 liter engine, lots of pull.
    What kind of rear winch do you have? And unless I misread, how in the hell do you fit 350 litres of fuel?
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.