Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taxidermist

Re: Taxidermist

You know we had this conservation Ian but I'd love to see a guy who does Shane Smith quality for the same price he charges 300 bucks. Not very likely gonna happen, I wish it wasnt so. Somehow up here you get charged more money for less of a job.

for me, I'd take the trip across the line, do the paperwork and ship it to him or others like him. Northwest wings you could drive too. $300 us for top of the line, plue shipping for something you are going to have for a very long time, compared to the same price up here for crap?

People need to be informed, whether they are the purchaser of services or the providers of services and thats where my post came from. Hell, I bet it wouldn't be that hard to ship direct if you had all the paperwork in order! Whathisname in Van is out of line, something like $500 or $700, yeah he does nice stuff, won a comp or two but way out of industry norms

There's a 1/2 dozen or so bird taxidermist all in the same price range and quality, but as you know they are all in the U.S.

Ian

Yeppers. I've been told to just ship it at the slowest 2 day. On either a monday or tuesday and it should be fine. I would pick them up as its easier on shipping not having to crate them up and fill them with wrap and filler.

But the only thing holding me back is possibly the forms holding them up at the border. I've got 4 birds ready to go in the freezer but dont want to send them to anyone up here and little bit unsure about shipping it from here with forms on it to the states, I think it may get held up at the border and since they'd have to be frozen in a makeshift cooler wrapped in plastic and filled with newspaper who knows how long they'll last.

Last time I took some birds south I was back east, had to stop at the US customs and fill out a form. Make sure you have both your migratory and BC license. Took about 15 mins.

Give both borders a call and find out, probably just a bit of time. If you have all the contact info, species etc shouldn't be an issue. Really no different then a yank taking birds home.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I can tell you who not to send it to in a PM unless you want your bird looking like this guy.

Looks like a duck to me...kinda.

Man, a guy doing work like that should definitley quit his day job. That is so ugly. I want to know who did that just so I dont ever go there. Please send a PM my way Marc.

Shane Smith's shop is a certified port for shipping birds. So there is no problem sending him birds from here.

Matt that has to do with shipping animals from countries where there is a higher chance of certain diseases.

"Game birds and waterfowl that are being imported as trophies must be sent to a taxidermy facility that has been approved by the USDA's Veterinary Services. A list of approved taxidermists in a particular state can be obtained from the Animal Products Staff, National Center for Import-Export telephone (301) 734-3277. Untaxidermied game trophies must meet these guidelines (exceptions are listed.)"

His shop is on the list, Pats isnt, just has to do with what you can recieve and from where. Form 3-177 is what US residents need to fill out when coming back from canada with birds, and most likely the same form you'd need to fill in to send a bird south.

x2, what gunner said. very happy with his work....fowl