Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grizz guns

Re: grizz guns

I guess the only person who can say what really works is the guy who has been charged by one and killed the grizz or the guy who found the gun and states the caliber of it belonging to the guy who was mauled

youngfellla Guest

A 7 Mag with a 175 Partition would work fine. Read Gatehouses grizz hunt story - killed with a 160 X-Bullet that broke both shoulders.

Heart/lung shots will kill a grizz, but remember a grizz's heart beats somewhere around 8 - 10 times a minute, so even if you put one in the vitals they still have plenty of time to make a charge.

Best shots on a grizz are through the shoulders if he is broadside, hopefully breaking both, and if he is facing you, a shot to the base of his hump will put him down.

I use 375 H&H For almost all my hunting . (with the exeption of hound hunting then i use the 30-30 carbine)
    I think that being familier with the firearm and working within it abilities is a bit of a lost skill. Most of the high power rounds will do the job in the hands of a capeable shooter but i think of stopping power from 338 and up.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Ah come on as if my 22-250 with 53 grain triple shocks couldn't do the job.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

If I'm out hunting grizz, I use my 338, but in camp and in the tent, I have a defender shotgun. first two shells are triple ought to blind and slow down the bear. The last five are ssgs, to make sure he stays down and to give my partner time to use his rifle. Wasn't a grizz, but I put down a big black bear seven or eight feet away from our tent opening with the defender. The long johns had some camo streaks in them after that.
    red neck pick up lines:
    do you have a library card, cause I'd like to sign you out.
    if Yer gonna regret this in the morning, we can sleep til the afternoon
    You might not be the best lookin girl here, but beauty's only a light switch away.
    Your eyes are as blue as window cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by alremkin
    If I was hunting Grizzly I'd use my 416 Remington. I've seen about 600 lbs mountain grizzly shot through the heart and lungs run 200 yards up a 30 degree slope and die a couple minutes later on the other side of the hill. You might be lucky and kill a griz with one shot to the brain with a 7mm or a spinal shot could take it out too. If the two of you stay together while hunting griz with your 7mm and a 300, you should be ok. Expect to have to shoot the bear at least two times and use the heavist bullets for your caliber like 175 gr and 220 gr using something like a barnes XXX or Swift Bonded core.
    we will be hunitng for moose out the mgregor
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

Have you guys hunted the McGregor area before?
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

yes and i saw some tracks that were well ya we were out there a year ago
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

rrfred Guest

some years ago i had a 200- 225 lb , a spring black bear take me on after a broadside shot where i blew out both of his front legs bones with a 7 mm mag 175 grand slam at 45 yds. he dropped, and then came for me on his hind legs at an amazing rate. i missed shot two as he fell down when the gun was going bang, but as he got up again, rounds three and four tamed him, last at about 12 feet. what saved my butt was lots of practice in field situations before hunting season. if a little dinker bear can do what he did, picture a full grown mountain grizz incoming... practice and use the biggest gun you can shoot well. cheers

Speaking from experience, use a Barnes, failsafe or equal, I am a lover of the Nosler Partition for most situations, but the Barnes,failsafe are better matched for Big bears IMO,

The bullet is more important than the calibre ( within reason)