Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: custom knife makers in bc

Re: custom knife makers in bc

I have four of Peter from Terrier's knives. One of the Arbutus series hunters, a deer hunter for my wife, a neckie and he did a Custom Sgian Dubh with a Damscus blade and Mammoth Ivory and Ebony handle. I supplied the mammoth ivory. Laser etched both family crests.

Custom service is great. He is doing a large carver/serving knife for me in the near future for use at our lamb spits and Burns dinners

I work a lot with knives...... And agree cutco knives are pretty weak. When I can, I'd get a Cosmo blade from salt spring island. He is busy now with another kid I heard.......laying off production a bit. He also make pretty neat Damascus rings as well. I have a buck Boone and Crockett alpha hunter I want to put a new handle on....make it a bit slimmer I the hand.....

You are correct, its etched right on the blades (doh) Do you know George ?

Dog_River

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    George Roberts

He attends the show in Kamloops every year.

and there is www.haslinger-knives.com formerly of Alberta now residing in Coldstream BC.
    Haslinger Custom Knives
    www.haslinger-knives.com

Cromer. That's a Roberts Roost knife.used to be out of Montana I think .Now Kaslo BC.sells knives out of a store in Kaslo(not a knife store but more like crafts and stuff?)That's what I found on the net.I bought one of his knives in a pawn shop .similar finish and colors to the one you show.

Hatt in Enderby BC

Quote Originally Posted by uraarchr View Post
    Cromer. That's a Roberts Roost knife.used to be out of Montana I think .Now Kaslo BC.sells knives out of a store in Kaslo(not a knife store but more like crafts and stuff?)That's what I found on the net.I bought one of his knives in a pawn shop .similar finish and colors to the one you show.
    The guy who started "Robert's Roost" in Kaslo, was a Yankee from Montana, big cowboy hat, very large gut and HUGE ego. I met him at a few craft and gun shows in Nelson, and most of us just laughed at his pretensions.

A guy I knew, actually taught to plant trees and to sharpen a knife, bought one of RR's knives, but, it was a piece of crap and when I later asked the RR dude what steel he used, he arrogantly replied, "that's a trade secret"......give me a phuckin' break, NO good maker hides his choice of materials.

I prefer D2 or SV30 hardened to 58ish and with Ironwood or another hardwood scales. I also have and like a small forged hunter from a young guy in the US and it is easy to sharpen, but, will not hold an edge like D2 or SV30.

Anyone know where Steve Price may now be or O'Connell?

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    i am in the market for a new hunting knife. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good custom knife maker preferably in bc. thanks in advance.
    You should have been at the Kamloops Gun show there were lots of maker's selling Knifes there, even a native guy with knifes that he Knapped out of flint and other type's of rock. Quite impressive how sharp they were. You could have a look at the Western Canadian Knife Making ASS. web site. They might be able to put you on somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    You should have been at the Kamloops Gun show there were lots of maker's selling Knifes there, even a native guy with knifes that he Knapped out of flint and other type's of rock. Quite impressive how sharp they were. You could have a look at the Western Canadian Knife Making ASS. web site. They might be able to put you on somebody.
    It's been over 6years, chance are pretty good he has found one by now
    KCCO