Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Portable DuckBlind

Homemade Portable DuckBlind

Hey all,

Looking at building a duckblind that I can pack into the marshes, and pack out again, preferably fairly easy. I'm thinking 1/2 or 3/4 pvc piping in grey, with net strung over top and around, cut nearby bulrushes and grass, and lean em up against it.

I hunt very public lands, and am not really interested in competing with others to get to a spot that I built . Selfish, I know!

Anyway, does anyone have an idea on rough dimensions in length and height? Or a better material for this purpose? I'll be packing this in to the marsh with the help of a friend, but also with 2 dozen deeks a spinner and our personal gear (Food guns ammo).

Rough idea so far... 4 foot high, 4-5 feet long, 4 feet wide. Point shaped roof thats open on one side.

Mark
    Last edited by NitwiT; 01-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade Portable DuckBlind

I made on out of PVC a number of years ago
    got corner angles and everything
    Was about 5 feet wide ( 2 guys and a meduim dog will fit)
    and about 5 foot at the front and 3 1/2 at the back and abput 4 foot deep.
    I covered it with burlap that I camo painted at put tie strpa in it to tie onto the frame.
    All I had to do it take the long joints apart(glue the angle pieces on one end so you don't lose them) and reasemble in the field
    I had the side covered as well but thinking about it now I would try to make them so the are at open e little so you can see the birds coming.

For the front of the blind I just set up some camo netting at about 2 feet
    open on each end so the dog could get out

Worked pretty good
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

How heavy would you estimate that whole thing to have been?

It wasn't all that bad not too sure of the exact weight
    The burlap I used was pretty thin stuff I got at a fabric store.
    I folded up the burlap and put it in the top of my decoy bag and put some bungies around the PVC and just carried them in one hand

I also made up some blind sides on my aluminum boat the same way
    I screwed in and attached some connectors on the gunnels and had the pvc side about 2 1/2 feet high all the way around the boat on both sides.

Had top rails on the sides and used two pieces of that cheap camo material one on each side and left the reaminder hang over the back over the motor and tied the blind stuff to the top rails and even had a small strut come up at the bow to join them
    All we had to do is lift up the blind material to let the dog out to get birds
    and ducked down heads down when birds flew over.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

We have had some success using the frame work for a pop up tent. Like an easyee-up.
    The fabric tops on them are usually the first to get wrecked but the frames are a bit tougher.
    We put the frame up and covered it with light weight camo cloth. Worked great.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

150$ will get you a laydown blind from cabelas. I have one and have taken it into the marsh a number of times. works great.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

I use two 6 ft pieces of grey pvc with black hockey tape down to about 2 ft. from the end.Have a chunk of camo netting from Cabellas about 8 ft. long and 5ft. high.This wraps up with two small bungy cords and is light and easy to carry.The camo fits in my decoy bag with 6 decoys or you can leave it in its light bag and carry it with you.I have been using this for ten years and it works pretty well.The problem is you have to back onto something as there is no cover from behind, but usually can find something in a field on a ditch edge or tree.The 2 small bungy's cap the netting on the posts which are angle cut on the other end to fit into the dirt and 2 old tent pegs which are in my pocket keep the camo tight.This is big enough for 2 guys and a dog but is a little squishy if the guys are xxx.The good thing it is light enough I can pack it, decoys and Robo, into the field and still pack it all out again with ducks etc. I have found only a couple of times that I have had grief driving the poles in or not having anything to back in on.

Cool ideas, I need to build one as well. Anyone got any pics of their setups?
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Re: Homemade Portable Duck Blind

we use snow fencing with banboo stakes through them then cover it with camo of your liking. we have different camo,s for differernt applications and time of year...fowl

I make a couple every other year as they'll pretty much last ya two years. I use 3' chicken wire stapled to 4' hardwood stakes and then weave long grass into them. I make one short one about 5' long and another one about 9 or 10' long. They don't weigh very much and you got all yer bases covered as you can use one or both, whatever you need for cover. As the grass gets beat up you just weave in some new stuff. K