Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building Archery Targets

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Building Archery Targets

The Bulldog targets are so portable that I always put mine back in the shed - and I'm notorious for leaving my stuff "around", just ask my wife.

As to how rain-proof they are....I'd not chance it, too much can go wrong.

I've put mine on the ground lots of times, damp grass even (while shooting) and then I put it away. If the bottom is wet I just wipe it off before storing it.

The frame of the target is made out of wood, with the interior filled with some sort of cellulose. The target is covered with a heavy vinyl-type plastic covering that seems to heal up a bit after being struck with the arrows.

I got this email back from Bull Dog:

On 2010-09-18, at 1:50 PM, wrote:

Question Answer
    First & Last Name Stéphane Gingras
    Email Address ********
    Your Question Hi,

I was going to build my own target, but someone pointed me in your direction. I am interested in the BullDog DogHouse FP, but I need to have a bit more info. Actually I have 2 questions. 1. Can it stay in the rain? 2. Can I place it on the ground?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Ya you can leave it out year round. The sun is a bit
    Hard on it so a shady spot would be good
    Thanks,
    Seth

--- Sent From Mobile Device ---

I leave mine outside all year .... its held up better than My Morrels but Ya Seth is right .. I have to replace my covers because the UV kicks the crap out of it ... The origibnal Doghouse is good ... for fast skinny arrows tho I would go with the Doghouse XP ... its a little thicker and less chance of blow out the back side ... That said i have never had pass thrus ... just tips sticking out the back ... Not recomemded when placed against a wooden wall ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Another endorsement for them, Stepane.

I'm still a bit anal about leaving mine outdoors all year round though.

But that's just me...

out and about in the thickets/maple ridge

i've had my doghouse fp for near 2 years now. replaced the cover about 8 months ago. i shoot near ever day and my wife 3-4 times a week. plus our friends shooting it too. over 10k shots and still not a single pass through. we dont shoot groups though(gets expensive).

Bow Walker Guest

Mikey and timbermilton - when you say you replaced the covers - did you send the targets back for the replacement or did you do it yourselves? I've yet to hear of anyone actually using the "Lifetime" warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Mikey and timbermilton - when you say you replaced the covers - did you send the targets back for the replacement or did you do it yourselves? I've yet to hear of anyone actually using the "Lifetime" warranty.
    I was checking out the web site, the inner has lifetime Warr. It has replaceable covers on it that do wear out and can be replaced.

the outter is replaced for like 20 or so bucks .......

you send them $$$ they send you the outter covering ... then you use an Arrow staple gun and install the cover yourself
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Well, I finally completed my back yard shooting range and I didn't build my target, but dug the little hill and put a retaining wall instead. Works great for short distance: 50 ft the longest distance.

I dug a hole and laid bricks for steps and drainage. I had those bricks lying around and never knew what to do with them.

I had a helper too.

I drove 2 ft rebars into the ground - over killed if you ask me.

30" height

I bought a Morrell for target. At $60, I was satisfied for the use.

I can go and practice whenever I feel like it and it is great to prepare for grouse hunt.

And I added this new gadget that automatically your arrows back . . . . .