Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: best pack board?

Re: best pack board?

I just ordered the boyfriend for xmas a alaskan ll pack and frame hope it is good.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I used the Tatonka on an alpine deer trip this year and for the price I thought it was money well spent. I know there are better, such as the ones mentioned on the sheep threads, but for what you pay I think it's a pretty darned good back. I too think it's a tad small for longer trips, escpecially if you go solo and aren't sharing some of the gear. I went solo with enough food for 5 days and it was pretty full. Of course things can be lashed to the outside to save room, I found that a rolled up sleeping mat or tent fits quite nicely under the frame, the way it is welded creates a little nook for things to fit into on the bottom. I found the bottom compartment front access to be a bit of a pain so I didn't bother using it, that was another good spot to lash something externally, I just opened up the zipper inside to create one big compartment instead of having two, mitigating the need for that front access. And spotting scope and tripod fit well into the two lower side external pockets with the existing side straps to keep them there. All in all I thought it was pretty comfortable, as comfortable as can be I suppose, with a heavy meat load. I did have to keep tightening the waist belt every so often with a heavy load, I'm not sure if that's to be expected or maybe there are better buckles out there. Not the best packboard out there but for the money I think it's tough to go wrong. And as a sidenote I've looked at a couple of tatonkas other packs and they too seem to be well built, I get the feeling they offer a good well valued product in general. Hope this helps

Tried different packs and went back to my Trapper Nelson. It has served me well for 40 years. It is the smallest Trapper Nelson made but packs elk quarters really well. Nice thin wide straps makes it good when hunting the bush. I shot most of my game with it on my back. Put a hip belt on it and that really helped out.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    I just ordered the boyfriend for xmas a alaskan ll pack and frame hope it is good.
    I have one at home here and it's a very nice pack and frame, I think you have to go to MR Nice to find a better pack for the money.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America