Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best pack board?

Hybrid View

best pack board?

like the title says....
    I'm looking for something that is external metal framed (yes I say a plastic external frame at bass pro) and would have the capability to be used as a main pack on some trips, what would you guys recomend?

2. Site Sponsor

Devilbear Guest

Re: best pack board?

My all-time favourite of many I have used is the discontinued Dana Design Terraframe and this comes in several versions. These are the "Terraframe" "Longbed", "Shortbed" and "Longbed Loadmaster"; I have a "Shortbed" which can be instantly stripped to a bare frame and a "Longbed Loadmaster". I had two of the latter, one actual Dana Gleason production and one later K2 version, both good, but, the DG one is much better.

These are found on "e-bay" and by advertising on various backpacking sites and they WILL pack a REAL LOAD and in all day comfort. They are built like tanks and will last longer than you will.

My next choice, would be the "Barney's Sports" "Carnivore Frame", a serious hunting pack from Alaska. I prefer the suspension of the DD to this style, but, these have an outstanding reputation among serious hunters.

Third, get an old CampTrails "Freighter" and it will work, but, it will also "hurt" after a while with a heavy load.

I HAD a plastic frame, used it a LOT and I cannot post here the words it made me say........pos, for sure.

If your looking at primarily a pack board, take a good look at www.bullpacs.com great frieghter frame, bomb proof, tough, and will pack 3X what you can
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Thumbs up Re: best pack board?

Quote Originally Posted by SHACK View Post
    If your looking at primarily a pack board, take a good look at www.bullpacs.com great frieghter frame, bomb proof, tough, and will pack 3X what you can
    X2
    I Love my Bullpac......strong and well built, but not for the weak.
    It's built like a packframe should be, you won't break it

I really like my Granite gear pack. I has worked well for me. From sheep hunts to Bison bits.

Devilbear Guest

I bought a Bullpac Alaskan in January, 2002 and sold it in February, 2009; it was a VERY stout, rugged and wellmade pack. The suspension, however, is pretty crude in design and I found that anything more than 70 lbs. would make me bend much too far forward to keep in balance....I had the same issues with the Kifaru Longhunter Rendvous I bought in summer 2005 and sold in 2008.

Soooo, not to denigrate the Bullpac, it IS one TOUGH item, and the people behind it are totally outstanding folks. I might know where one is for sale, btw, but, try the suspension first as it does not work for some.

DB, I certainly agree with your coment on the suspension, It lacks a bit of the rigidity in the hip/waist belt area that in my opinion would realy set it apart. That said, it is still the toughest, bomb proof "pack board" I have found.
    I would still rather bone out my game, and use an internal in the end, but I have both, so my bases are covered
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

I have the wilderness wonderer pack, and it is strong as can be the only draw back that I have with it is that it squeaks and from talking to others,they all do not just mine.
    manglinmike

I use the barney's backpack, like any pack , put 100 pounds or better on it and it is not that comfy, however the pack will take whatever you can dish out, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. DD

well those bull pacs look tough like your all saying!!
    does it have lots of straps for tying stuff on?
    and do you thing that a guy could find another pack that might strap on fairly well, their web site only shows the one back pack option?