Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best pack board?

vancouver island for now .. soon on a peice of paridise in quesnel

Re: best pack board?

i still like my trapper nelson

Another one to throw into the mix might be the Tatonka Lastenkraxe. I have only seen one in person and haven't tried one, but I have a hard time imagining a stouter looking frame. I wouldn't think it would work as well as some others for dayhunting or in brush as it looks to be quite tall, but for load hauling it would probably work well.

http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/6482/292745/0/0
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Another one to throw into the mix might be the Tatonka Lastenkraxe. I have only seen one in person and haven't tried one, but I have a hard time imagining a stouter looking frame. I wouldn't think it would work as well as some others for dayhunting or in brush as it looks to be quite tall, but for load hauling it would probably work well.

http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/6482/292745/0/0

I have looked at them in AJ Brooks too, and they LOOK bombproof. Anyone tried one in the bush?

I have a cheap old taymor that has worked great for 4 years of guiding but is now showing wear and tear, my next pack will be a bull pack, I'll change the straps if I have to!

I am getting the Tatonka tomorrow... I am getting the 70L pack that goes with it as well... All for $250. AJ Brooks wants $210 for the frame alone.

It is extreamly comfortable. The price I am paying for my frame and pack is only about 40 bucks more then AJBrooks is selling all thier stuff for.

I will not be buying the Tatonka stuff from AJBrooks becasue of what happened to Blacktail Stalker and his Mindels. (I don't remember if it was actually AJ Brooks or Mindel that would not take the boots back, but the retailer should have come up to the plate in either case, and got him a new pair of boots) That tells me that the retailer is more interested in the money then the customer.

dutchie

I take the pack off of my external frame and use it as a pack board. I am thinking of getting a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, though, as I like the idea of having the storage space for gear.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I just picked up my Tatonka external frame and pack from a local Mountaineering store here in White Rock. With the frame, the pack and 2 pairs of Merino wool socks it was all just under $280 taxes in.

I liked this set up because of they way that it is set up. We loaded it up with 100lbs and it was more comfortable then anyother frame I have tried, not to mention the 70L pack was a selling point for me.

the whole set up weighs just under 7 lbs... which by my standards is light for a external fram and pack.

thanks for posting the info and pics Dutchie. I hope to see you post a field test next fall, perhaps with pics of a 6x6 elk strapped to the frame!

Hi Guys, just got a Tatonka Frame for Christmas. I am now looking for a pack to get for it however am having trouble finding what pack fits it or where to get them. Any help would be appreciated.

Devilbear Guest

Call John Davies at Mountain Magic in South Surrey, 604-535-5182, he should be able to help you and is my "main guy" for gear purchases in the Lower Mainland, great guy and excellent prices.