Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

As you mentioned that the gun will only be used for grouse, I'd go with a 20 guage (don't listen to the drivel about what is a man's gun, etc. That's all garbage from people who don't know any better. They probaably think a .410 is a kid's gun, when in fact it takes a great deal more skill at equal ranges to be effective with such a small gun...but I digress).

For for typical grouse ranges, a 20 guage will do anything a 12 can do. My son has a nice little Stoeger 20 guage SXS. It handles incredibly fast and he kept us fed every day for two weeks during our fall hunt. With 28 inch barrels it is plenty accurate enough. Cheaper to reload, too! Great little clay gun ans well...lots of fun!

I wouldn't go with a 28 guage, personally. Fewer choices in guns and ammo and the guns tend to be more expensive overall.
    Last edited by anglo-saxon; 01-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06 View Post
    1/2 SLAM we all know that the 16ga shells are way more expensive (lmao) then 12 or 20 gauge shells, they do not have enough lead (1-1 1/8 oz) you can not buy steel shot for them (got my steel shot from Canadian Tire), and it is almost imposible to find 16ga loads. I think you should save your self a lot of headake and I will take all 3 of you 16ga shotguns off your hands............................
    Let me think about it. NO
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

its your aim that counts not what your shooting
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

Wink Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

This is a personnel choice. The twenty auto is a very sweet little shotgun, no recoil, trains and mounts a very fast sight picture, light and effective. The 12 carries a little heavier, somewhat better range, depending on size of individual, may not mount and swing as fast as a twenty. It's all what you like. For an expert opinion on this very subject go to backwoodshome.com and look up article #120 by Massad Ayoob. I am sure the article will answer all of your concerns. One thing for sure the 20 gauge will throw less shot for you to bite on when eating grouse. That is why I like the 410 for just that very reason.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

12 or 20, why not split the difference and go with a 16?
    I did, and am glad I went that way.
    Nothing like a slim, well-formed 16 spanish, I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by silvicon View Post
    12 or 20, why not split the difference and go with a 16?
    I did, and am glad I went that way.
    Nothing like a slim, well-formed 16 spanish, I tell you!

Another brilliant response. I concur
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I have a .410, a 20, a 16, and a 12. Over the last 54 years I have killed more ducks, geese pheasants, gruose and rabbits with a 20 gauge than all the others combined, and the one thing I really like is that it's always been either a clean kill or a complete miss. I can't recall ever heaing pellets hit wings and the bird not dropping. Maybe today, with the steel shot only regulations on ducks and geese it wouldn't work, but If I were to keep only one of my shotguns, the .20 would be it.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddy View Post
    Maybe today, with the steel shot only regulations on ducks and geese it wouldn't work, but If I were to keep only one of my shotguns, the .20 would be it.

I haven't found this to be a problem (steel shot-downed ducks). I've had a 'Bud' take me out several times this year (1st stab a waterfowling) and have used both my 12 and 20 in this field. In fact, If I were to go again tomorrow (wishful thinking... seasons over), it be the 20 that came along!

IMO, I don't think there's *that much* of a difference 'tween the two when it comes to bird hunting. Granted, haven't tried it on more than Northern Mallards though, OR stepped further back from the 15 yd line on the trap field.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    Split the differance....get a 16ga. Lots of ammo out there. Great guns. I have 3
    Sorry, I don't think "Lots of ammo out there" is true for 16ga.

12ga. if ur only planning on owning 1 shotgun

then get a 20ga. when u want a second shotgun

I would go with a 12 ga. More versatile re: loads - particularly when it comes to steel shot. There are 12 ga models on the market that are quite light and would suit someone of small stature.