Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

I also have 20 and 12 but for upland like pheasant,quail and chuker nothing like a light gun for walking long hours in the field after them go with 3 inch mag 20 it will kill any bird.If your driving around for grouse 12 guage awesome for ducks,geese.

I have both and dont think you could go wrong with either, i guess i would lean towards the 12, who knows you might want to use it for somthing else in the future.

I had the same question last year. Went with a Browning White Lightning O/U in 12g. LOVE IT for grouse and clays. A bit heavy to carry for 4-5 hours but I've gotten used to it.

I picked up a set of gauge reducers from Gauge-Mate in the USA and it allows you to fire 16,20,28 or .410 (depending on the set you buy). I have three sets 20,28 and .410 and all work well. The .410 was probably the least effective and you have to adjust chokes for each so you get a decent pattern. Makes it easy on the shoulder shooting 20g at the range. Great things for someone on a budget or starter.

cwf
    'try not, do or do not, there is no try'-YODA

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/UT71m7.png

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/Tx3Zm7.png

I own both,
    get a 12ga. You never know, having one you might find yourself in a duck marsh someday. As well as it will do better on the skeet range.
    If you only are going to upland hunt with a spattering of clays get the 20ga. I love mine shoot it all day, weighs nothing, swings fast and looks good!

My recommendation is a 12 ga. as there is a wide selection of loads available at reasonable cost unless you are recoil consious then go 20 ga.
    I shoot both and use the 20 for upland hunting. As said before the important thing is to get a gun that " fits you ". Pumps are fine ( I own a couple " but for sporting clays you are handicapped somewhat with just a single choke vs a o/u with 2 chokes available. Cost of shells for a 28 ga is excessive unless you reload. You don't have to go expensive like Browning or Beretta but they are great guns and will last a lifetime. Go to a range and I bet you will have the offers to try various guns which will let you know what " Fits you".

Depends on the clay's you are shooting the most. With skeet or sporting clays you can go with both but with trap you will want the 12 guage. Good luck and have a blast with either one!
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

12 ga cause when you go for upland you can buy field loads(1/2 loads) for cheap so you dont do too much damage and still go for geese if you ever want to.
    Originally Posted by Gatehouse "I don't worry about the trim on rifle scopes. Probably because I have never caught the ghey."

i have both and love the 20 for upland it's light and swings great, that's what it's for but you can't go wrong with a twelve either it's the "do-it-all" gauge, will take down a pterodactyl.

1/2 SLAM we all know that the 16ga shells are way more expensive (lmao) then 12 or 20 gauge shells, they do not have enough lead (1-1 1/8 oz) you can not buy steel shot for them (got my steel shot from Canadian Tire), and it is almost imposible to find 16ga loads. I think you should save your self a lot of headake and I will take all 3 of you 16ga shotguns off your hands............................

I am suprised I am the first to say it ..... even if its only ever going to be used for upland, I would go for the 12 g because there is always the possibility of running into a bear or cougar .
    Keep a few slugs and/or 000 buckshot handy (preferably slugs) and you have bear medacine if needed

Bigger is always better same reason I choose a 300 magnum as a deer gun . A 243 makes a nice deer gun, but sometimes you find critters you aren't looking for .... I would rather have a cannon when there is a chance of running into a Grizz .