Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

12 gauge or 20 gauge

ok future purchase here

looking at a 12 gauge or 20 gauge over under, but can only buy one.

this gun would only be used for upland and clays, with that in mind, what would you choose and why?

i have not shot either yet, but, i am leaning to the 20 gauge,i would like some expert advice here, before i make a decision.

thanks guys, cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12 gauge or 20 gauge

12. Unless you are a girly-man. Or an actual girl. Or under 100 lbs.

I'd go with the 20, or personally more likely a 28 ( I already have a 20 and a 12), If its just uplands, clays and maybe the odd rabbit, the 20 will give them all the killing they'll need and you'll end up with less damage on at least a few if not most of your kills.
    april fool in waiting

I would get a quality gun you find a good deal on. Either will do. 12 is better for water fowl if you want to do that in the future. Maybe 20 won't blow grouse apart as much.
    Make sure you handle the gun & see how it fits and swings for you. I've had nice shotguns I haven't been able to hit anything with, and crappy guns I've nailed birds on all day long. The stock length matters a lot.
    I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. -Jesus

haha ok you nailed it on the weight side,,,, im pushn 135 lbs,,,,,but yes i can still take a lickin

The 12 gauge will cover all bases.
    You can load up or down for those very tricky clay pigeons or scrambling rabbit shots.
    But, it is you that will be shooting the gun not anyone else here on the board that is calling you names.
    But what fits you and you like.
    Rob

Go for a 12 gauge. And because your next question will be which 12 gauge should I get, I would look at a Remmington 870. One of the most reliable actions out there and they are relativley cheap. Probably get one for around $400 new.

Split the differance....get a 16ga. Lots of ammo out there. Great guns. I have 3
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

12 or 20, the ammo cost about the same. A 20 gives up very little when compared to a 12 but it does "give up" a little. For what you're after, I think a 20 would suffice just fine, but,,,,, having the 12 would make *other* doors an option down the road.

I have both in the O/U configuration and wouldn't part with either. I really like shootin' trap/skeet with the 20 (read: fun!) but when it comes to killing grouse, I take that pretty seriously and whack'em with a 12.

Soooo basically I'd suggest finding the best deal in either guage and BUY IT!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I own both and prefer the 20 gauge for upland birds and skeet. But there are times when I use the 12 gauge because I want a little more oomph. If i had to pick one all around gun, it would be the 12 guage.