Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tracking dogs ?

tracking dogs ?

I'm considering a new companion for my solo hunts, and would like to know more about good trackers, that can still be called a good family pet also. I've heard of German wire hairs, and Dahtars getting high praise in europe. Looking for something to help with bears, and be able to blood track anything wounded. Any Ideas ????

2. Site Sponsor

bone-collector Guest
    I would recomend James gary Sheltons newest book BEAR ATTACKS 2 - MYTHE & REALITY

The reason I give for pointing out this book is the lengthy section on dogs and bears , a dog can become your worst nightmare in 2 seconds in the bush , for tracking or trailing a hound would be a good choice , but then there hunting instincts can and usualy will take over and your chasing them or that dog for 10 miles , we have tried 2 diferent hounds at guide camp to locate downed bears and it was useless they didnt get the picture atall ( I think they have become more of a pet to the guy than a working dog) regardless give the book a read it has alot of good common sence reading in it

Learn how to see tracks yourself. No need for a dog.

bone-collector Guest
    hmm ever tracked a bear through devils club or slide alder 8O , dogs can be a good thing

Yes, I have tracked a wounded griz through a thick swamp. It is not something I'd like to do everyday.

A good dog will alert you to an animal in the area, well before our human senses kick in. A good dog can sort out a mess of tracks and follow a wounded animal without straying. A good dog will stay where and when told , almost to a fault. A good dog will not bring a killer back into your lap , A good dog will locate a trophy that someone else has lost, and needs help to locate , in the kind of shit-tangle that they normally head for when wounded.
    Some northern outfitters have tracking dogs in camp, so the guides do not have to endanger their clients by dragging them into trouble spots.
    A good dog should be available in all communiities, to be called upon to find wounded game of all sorts, instead of just calling " oh, I missed, lets go get another one".

bone-collector Guest
    um yea ok you seem to already know then...well I will leave it to yea then but thanks for wasting folks time... 8O

boxhitch
    I think if you can find yourself a good Airedale it might suit your needs very well. They make great bear dogs but have way more smarts than a hound and can be taught to hunt fairly close. They also make great family and companion dogs and even can do waterfowl and upland game.
    I'm a bit biased as I raise them and love them and I find they suit my type of pleasure hunting very well.
    Don't get the idea I'm trying to sell pups as I am sold out way in advance but if you can get your hands on a good pup from working stock it might be just what you're looking for.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Thanks Clint. Thats what I'm looking for. Will be in touch for follow up.
    Hey, BCollecter, how is the asking of a question a waste of time ? Your reply wass off topic, so that may be the waste you are referring to.
    Later.

bone-collector Guest
    a sientific fact on dogs and the bush as well as a short history in there roll in the bush is a waste of time ? I thought it may be helpful in your quest to find a dog that suited your need but I guess you know it all already