Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

I've been following the board here for a while, and it seems like everyone is a good person and there is lots of knowledge out here, so i feel pretty safe in asking this and hope it doesn't backfire on me.

With the end of deer season, it seems many are still out trapping and hunting. But as I read through the threads I can't help but ask myself one question, and I really hope I don't offend anyone here, but why do some want to kill an animal such as a wolf or cougar?

Now, when I say that please don't let the ambiguity of the internet get your dander up. I'm by no means judging or putting others down for what they do. While I don't think it's for me, it does't take away any of my freedoms and it's legal, so I don't entirely care what you do in your spare time. But I just gotta know why some do it.

What I'm curious about is the drive to do this kind of hunting, what is it about it that you love so much? What kind of skills do you get to exercise in wolf/cougar hunting that you do not in Deer/Moose/Elk hunting?

What about after the kill? Can you eat cougar or wolf? Are the pelts sold and if so, who buys them and what do they go for?

Is this also a good wildlife management aspect? Less cougars/wolves mean more deer?

I really hope that I don't tick anyone off, as that's not my intent. I'm just trying to figure out why people hunt these animals.
    I am a totally cluless newbie. My hunting knowledge consists of Step1) Go in to the woods Step2) Shoot a deer... and that's it. I would like to learn some basic skills so I will be ready for the Fall 2010 season, and am taking steps to do so.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

There are many reasons, different people do it for different reasons. Predator control would be my #1 reason!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

It's very much a skill, it's a tradition, it's a hobby, it's an art, it's a service to the ungulates, it's a source of income to some, it's many things to many people.

(1)thrill of the chase for me,i love to hunt any legal quarry! (2)and if by killing a few predators I save a few deer thats an added bonus!
    (3)also its an excuse to hunt/trap in the close season ! the more time you spend in the bush the better hunter/trapper you will become!

Here are my reasons:

1) I can say that having a predator come running into your call is one of the most exciting things that can happen while out hunting

2) It gets me off my ass and out into the bush

3) More shooting practice.

4) Predator Control

5) I can either sell the hide to cover some of my expenses, or keep it for my future trophy room They look great imo.

6) I would think the challenge of getting a wolf or cougar would be a reward in itself. It makes a true trophy as they are very elusive and many people have not even seem them let alone ad the chance to hunt them.

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Predator control, wolves are out of control in many places in this country. Often they are aided by logging roads, seismic lines and snow machine trails. If we give the predators these huge advantages we also must control them as to not decimate prey populations. I havent hunted cats but in talking to some cat hunters once you see hounds you trained yourself tree a cougar its the only hunting you will do
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

cougar hunting is the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!
    IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED RELOAD!!!

Though I've never eaten cougar, I've heard that it is one of the best wild meats. Sounds kinda dirty though

I'm thinking of trying a little coyote hunting this winter for fun and predator control, never done it before though.
    Pretend hunter.

I am a trapper and I trap

Bobcat
    Coyote
    Beaver
    Skunk
    Mink
    Otter
    Muskrat
    Raccoon
    Etc.

A few good reasons are:

As stated above predator control. Everyone and their dog is killing deer and moose while the animals listed above, are left alone. So either we leave everything alone (including deer and moose) and let them all be and we remove our encroaching towns, or we do a little surplus harvesting to keep populations healthy.

Another as far as skills go, obviously you have never tried to kill a wolf. Because If you think trapping a wolf (or in my experience bobcat or coyote) is not comparable to deer you are wrong. To trap an animal, you must convince it to step on a trap pan that is about 1.5"x2". This pan that is 3 square inches is stitting amongst the bobcats range of sometimes 5 miles. So if you can get a moose( which or deer, which are nowhere near as leary as a coyote, bobcat or wolf), to step into a clearcut so you can shoot it, thats pretty dam good, but you really got to know animal habits, movements and almost how the think to get them to step on that pan, or stick its head through the snare that is only about an inch wider than its head

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Though I've never eaten cougar, I've heard that it is one of the best wild meats. Sounds kinda dirty though

I'm thinking of trying a little coyote hunting this winter for fun and predator control, never done it before though.
    I have heard coyote's don't taste to bad either!It just depends on,
    in which establishment you eat them in , or how long you boil them for.