Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

Re: Wolf/Cougar Hunting questions.

I used to hunt cougar but I didn't enjoy it much so I got rid of my dog, but cougar roast is excellent eating!!! Most predators(wolves especialy) are feast and famine hunters, they will totaly wipe out the prey and move on or die off. The trick is to maintain a balance! I still hunt wolves and coyotes but cougar is to much work!!!

If there is a sustainable population, then why not hunt it?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Wow, what a great response!

So what exactly IS cougar hunting then? Stalking a set of tracks through the snow? sending a pack of hounds out? Going to Boone Country Caberet and buying them a Bud Lite Lime?
    I am a totally cluless newbie. My hunting knowledge consists of Step1) Go in to the woods Step2) Shoot a deer... and that's it. I would like to learn some basic skills so I will be ready for the Fall 2010 season, and am taking steps to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post
    ....Going to Boone Country Caberet and buying them a Bud Lite Lime?
    Can't speak for everyone but that is my prefered way of spot/stalking cougars. Haven't tried that particular bait but will give it a go next time.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

Cougar hunting is:

An addiction.

A lot of work and expense.

A gut busting hike through deep snow going places you would never in your right mind go.

A cause for numerous divorces.

A waste of time and gas about 80% of the time.

A reminder of how feeble and what poor hunters humans are.

An opportunity to hunt not only the fall but all winter as well.

A way to hunt where the end goal is not killing but merely taking a picture and walking away.

I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Right on Clint S; I have killed a lot of cougar but the best memorys are of those I have treed while training pups and let go, like the one in the picture herewith, which I believe I treed 4 times over a period of three years.

clint s pretty much explained alot of cat hunting.
    it is a lot of work, all year long.. there is no feeling like seeing a cat in a tree for the 1st time, but sometimes the challenge to get to the tree is so punishing you wonder, what the f*** am i doing. but the last 100 yds to a treed cat is a adrenaline rush you'll crave..
    and i'll kill any wolf i see in a legal situation cause they kill dogs..

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_S View Post
    A way to hunt where the end goal is not killing but merely taking a picture and walking away.
    And that is the most respectful and honest thing I've read in a long long time.

Thank-you for posting that, people ask me why i don't kill most of the fish I catch, because I'm satisfied with the pictures.
    I am a totally cluless newbie. My hunting knowledge consists of Step1) Go in to the woods Step2) Shoot a deer... and that's it. I would like to learn some basic skills so I will be ready for the Fall 2010 season, and am taking steps to do so.