Thread: Acadien style duck fricot

Acadien style duck fricot

I had enough roasters in the freezer so I decided to make up some Fricot for those evenings where you just don't feel like cooking. This recipe when finished only takes two minutes to warm a bowl in the micro-wave.

We start off with cleaned and plucked birds, this can also be substituted with geese, or chicken if you want.

Then we begin by breasting out the birds.

we then take the bodies and cut them up and toss them into a pot bones and and skin on(or off if you choose) with some onions, summer savory, and I like to use chicken OXO but you could use beef if you prefer that flavor. I also add salt to taste. Put this on to simmer for a couple of hours.

While we are waiting on the stock to be ready we cube up the duck breast into bite sizes making sure there is no shot left in them. we then peel & cut our carrots and potatoes into bite sizes as well. I start by putting about a breast of meat in the bottom of the bottle, the top it off with the carrots and potatoes leaving enough room for the lid to seal properly. When the stock is finished and to your taste we top up the mason jars with the stock just enough so that it will not boil over when put in the pressure cooker.

Place the tops on the jars lightly just snug as you want the gases to be able to escape during the cooking and depressurizing process.

About an hour in the pressure cooker and you're good to go.

This recipe can be made fresh and cooked in the pot if you didn't want to go through the process of bottling any up.

Enjoy!

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Try this asian duck resipe

Ingredients:

3 dried black mushrooms.
    1 duck, (about 3 to 4 lb).
    1 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch.
    1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
    ½ cup of bamboo shoots.
    ½ cup of water chestnuts.
    2 tablespoons of oil and 1 tablespoon of oil.
    ½ cup of stock.
    1 tablespoon of sherry.
    1 teaspoon of salt.

Directions:

Soak the dried black mushrooms.

Remove the meat from duck breast and legs and dice into 1-inch cubes.

Blend the cornstarch and soy sauce, then add to duck and toss gently.

Allow to stand for about 30 minutes.

Dice the bamboo shoots and soaked mushrooms.

Slice the water chestnuts.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and stir-fry the duck until it changes color (about 3 minutes), then remove from pan. Drain fat from pan.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts; for about 3 minutes.

Add the stock, sherry and salt, and heat quickly; then cook, covered, 3 minutes, over medium heat.

Return duck and simmer, covered, until done.
    Best Regards

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Acadien style duck fricot

Marc, with the meas that I've seen you post up (w/ pics) you could/ve written the HBC Cookbook all by yourself.

I'll bet you'd make someone a great wife! .........