Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Doggy First Aid?

Re: Doggy First Aid?

Kwick Stop is used to stop bleeding from a cut toenail......I've used it to stop bleeding from umbilical cords too.....

I don't know what you would use it for regarding a tick bite. ????? Think Vortex is talking about what to put in your dogs first aid kit.

You may want to start a new thread on your dogs tick bite.

There is many tick sites and how it relates to dogs on the internet and that may be your best bet for information

Depending on where you live, who you talk too and how informed your vet is....you may get poo-poo'd for your concern about the tick.

That said YES there is Lyme Disease in BC and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I know...my friend has a young dog with RMSF. It's not nice nor is Lyme.

Keep the tick....your vet can send it away to be tested.

Trapper D Guest

thank you for the info i have kept it

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by d.sampson56 View Post
    i took it off with teezers. i got it as close to the skin as possible, it all came out.. it must have been there a couple of days. now she does have a ring of reddness around where it bit her, and isnt that the signs of lyme disease?????
    I regularly pull ticks out with tweezers. If the tick is bloated and has been there long enough to start feeding, I apply some Polysporin antiseptic to the site. My vet says that Polysporin works just as well on dogs as it does on humans.

Quote Originally Posted by d.sampson56 View Post
    whats the best way to remove tick off dogs, it looks like its been there a couple of days , just noticed it, the old girl couldnt get to it under her throat, is hot pin the way to remove???????

Vasaline,
    use a qtip and smear a tonne of the stuff around the tick. It suffocates them and they back out. This is what my friends parrents did with their lab, She got them all the time. It worked on the one I found on Chase just fine.

Seemed like a good one to me, If anyone knows a bad side i'd like to hear it Because it is what i will do.

Bow Walker Guest

When I pull them out with tweezers, I don't squeeze too hard (it'll pop the tick) and I apply gently but firm tugging pressure to pull it out. 99.9% of the time the whole tick comes out. Once I had to go back and get the rest of it, but I got it all - which is very important.

Then apply the Polysporin as an antiseptic. Both my dogs are "bush busters" who love to follow their noses. As a result, I've pulled more than my share of those nasty little buggers.

835, does the vaseline thing take a while to work, or does the tick come out quickly?

I grew up in southern Ont (ya, like I need sympathy) it was a weekly part of dog maintenance to remove ticks and leaches. All we did was apply a hot match head to the but of either, wait a few seconds and slowly/gently pull them out. If they didn't come easy, hot match again.I was taught to put salt in the wounds after but I can't say why.
    I have learned from hunting in Alberta to have a porcupine quill removal tool on hand at all times. The damn things seem to enjoy the same habitat as pheasants and the dogs just can't resist. I carry a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers but my brother just carries a leatherman. We fix up whatever, if any, bleeding back at the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    When I pull them out with tweezers, I don't squeeze too hard (it'll pop the tick) and I apply gently but firm tugging pressure to pull it out. 99.9% of the time the whole tick comes out. Once I had to go back and get the rest of it, but I got it all - which is very important.

Then apply the Polysporin as an antiseptic. Both my dogs are "bush busters" who love to follow their noses. As a result, I've pulled more than my share of those nasty little buggers.

835, does the vaseline thing take a while to work, or does the tick come out quickly?

Takes a bit, like a day or so.

Hi Sherry

You can get Kwick Stop at any Feed and Ranch supply that caters to ranchers and cattleman. Also well worth having in the kit tho probably not PC it is effective in an emergancy and very effective id a small butane toarch with a sauldering tip for for cotterizing. Nice...NO but it's VERY effective if U r miles back from a vet and in trouble.

Good hunting
    Jim

I recently had a English Pointer, 5 years old have a seizure out in the bush. The vet said he had low blood sugar after blood work results. This is a bird dog who is very high strung. He hadn't eaten enough breakfast to keep his levels normal. The vet said to keep a bit of pancake syrup with me and spread it on his gums if it ever happined again. The sugar will bring them out of the siezure long enough for you to get your dog to emergency vet care. Be sure your dog eats more than normal when out for a day of hunting. Next time your in a resturant or Mc D's, get yourself a couple packs of it. It could save your dogs life.

My buddy is diabetic, i have talked to him about it and i am sure you are quite right. That would work.

Of course i have a lab and getting food anytime into him is never a problem!