Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doggy First Aid?

Re: Doggy First Aid?

Glad to hear everything worked out. Dog injuries are always traumatic when they first happen what with all the yelping and crying.
    Use Enough Dog !!

Quote Originally Posted by huntergirl270 View Post
    The incident this morning was Zena tearing one of her nails out when she jumped off the back steps. Normally I would have used corn starch but it was spraying blood. We stopped the bleeding by applying pressure to her leg and then I bandaged it up with thick eye patches to pad the nail that was sticking straight up and only attached by a bit of skin.
    Took her to the vet to get the nail removed completely but we could have dealt with it mainly ourselves had I had some Kwik Stop or a caustic pencil of some sort on hand. A good cleaning, yank on the nail, kwik stop and some antibiotics would have done the job.
    Growing up on a farm we always had this stuff readily available in our barn first aid box but I never even thought to add it to our doggy one.
    Thanks for the info on where to purchase as I've never seen it in the average pet store. We live near the Mill Store so I'll head over there this week. If I can't find it maybe I can convince my friend who manages a vet hospital to order me some.
    Hey Doug ... thankfully we did have some elastic bandages (vet wrap) in there. They came in mighty handy as did the thick eye patches. I buy the eye patches in large quantities because they work really well to build up padding if it's needed for things such as this or if someone gets something stuck in them and it needs to be padded and wrapped to limit movement of the object.
    Is flagyl available from the vet or over the counter? That is something I don't have in there either.
    Thanks!
    Sherry
    Last time I bought it was at the Scruffy Tail over here in Sardis by the Pharmasave. You can buy it at the dog shows too.

When Tikka tore a nail off the day before the Lab HT (that of course she was entered in ...arggggg) there was no way I could have torn it off or cut it off. She was fine running around but once SHE saw it spurting blood... it HURT! Pressure bandaged it and then took her to the vet.

The quick was like a short piece of spaghetti sticking out of the broken nail. She had to be sedated, with enough sedation to knock out a dog twice her size, because both the nail and the quick both needed to be cut back to healthy nail and there was no way she was letting anyone touch that toe.

Here's another thing to have in your truck with you always. Not really a first aid thing until your dog has heat stroke but I can't believe how many people do not travel with WATER all the time. We would have lost one of those black dogs one time without the bucket of water to slop over her.

Regards,
    Kasomor

We have also learned to keep booties in our first aid kit.
    After one of our dogs got a nasty cut between the toes during a Logan Lake trial we got him bandaged OK, but we were on the road for another couple of weeks and we needed him to heel quickly without disturbing the bandage.
    Thankfully one of our Alberta friends keeps booties and it worked perfectly.
    Ian also keeps a needle for relieving stomach gas due to bloat.
    Not something I could do but he's taken a canine first aid course.

Sherry:
    Re 'Flagyl' ......the generic name is "Metronidazole"......you should be able to get it at a drugstore, or farm supply store.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Lots'oLabs View Post
    Ian also keeps a needle for relieving stomach gas due to bloat.
    Not something I could do but he's taken a canine first aid course.
    Where do they have canine first aid courses?

Kasomor

Tracey Griffin gave one several years ago. Ian said it was excellent.
    It may be time to ask her to put on another.

this should be a sticky

I got a gooder.
    If you are hunting keep some crazy glue in your truck to fix Pad cuts.
    Old timer version: My great uncle used to smear pitch into a pad cut and then dust it with dirt so it isn't stickey.
    The latter version is not as clean but thoes of you who have had your pooch get cut bad on the paw have seen how much it can bleed

if your dogs heart ever stops in the bush, take your nail or a small stick and press extremely hard where the upper lip comes together undder the nose. apparently there are tons of nerve ending right there and you can actualy jump start your dogs heart . Heard this in a dog first aid course

Also might want a muzzle handy. My guy has picked up thorns in the pads several times and as much as he knows I'm trying to help he can't help biting at me when I try to dig it out. Depending on the scenario, when you try to help it often causes more pain and they might chomp at your hand.