Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doggy First Aid?

Doggy First Aid?

An incident with our Springer this morning is making me rethink what we have available in our doggy first aid kit.

I am starting this thread so we can all add information on what we believe is necessary in a "field kit" for your dog.
    I thought I had everything necessary but realize that the one thing I didn't have was a styptic (minor cuts) or caustic (more serious cuts) pencil to stop bleeding. There is a powder that is available as well called Kwik Stop. Does anyone know where this can be purchased besides online?

Please feel free to add any more suggestions of items that you deem necessary to have in your field kit.

Thanks !

Sherry
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Doggy First Aid?

Hi Sherry!
    You probably already have it, but if not, it's good to have a roll of vetwrap (elastic bandage). If you're tavelling, it's good to have some pink bismuth
    for dogs with stomach upset, and some flagyl tablets for severe diarrhea. Not good to use flagyl often, but it really works for severe cases that you need to have corrected in a hurry.
    Doug

the styptic can be purchased at petsmart in Langley, When i lived in the LM and hunted with my yellow lab, i basically had a first aid kit for him and me, in his kit i also had some muscle relaxers that i received from a vet when he separated his tail, they were so powerful he would not move a muscle when he was on them. I also had various bandages and tapes.
    one day i out duck hunting i dropped a mallard in some tall grass and you know how they love to run full tilt through the grass, well there was a stump that stopped him dead in his tracks. good thing this stump did not have any branches out of the bottom or they may have punctured him. This also happened to a friend of mines dog, but his dog lost an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergirl270 View Post
    An incident with our Springer this morning is making me rethink what we have available in our doggy first aid kit.

I am starting this thread so we can all add information on what we believe is necessary in a "field kit" for your dog.
    I thought I had everything necessary but realize that the one thing I didn't have was a styptic (minor cuts) or caustic (more serious cuts) pencil to stop bleeding. There is a powder that is available as well called Kwik Stop. Does anyone know where this can be purchased besides online?

Please feel free to add any more suggestions of items that you deem necessary to have in your field kit.

Thanks !

Sherry
    The well equipped pet store will have Kwik Stop. Try Oly's, The Mill Store, Animal House or The Scruffy Tail.

Regards

Kasomor

Consider adding;

Epicac - to induce vomiting should Fido ingest something poisonous or harmful.

Activated Carbon - administer orally after vomiting to help absorb the substance while you transport to Vet.

Peroxide 3% - to sterilize cuts

"Viaderm KC" - ointment to apply to "hotspots", raw, festering, open sores that some breeds, (especially long-haired water dogs), can get, usually around the neck area.

All of the above available at pharmacies, inexpensive.

Daughter put together a cabin first aid kit for us when she was a vet assistant - thankfully it hasn't had to be used yet. We've added some foot balm to use on her Lab's paws as they always seem to get cuts on them.
    Had a recent incident where Moller the Toller chowed down a bottle of herbal meds and the ASPCA Poison line said to use hydrogen peroxide. Yep, not long after we had puke all over the house.

Our first aid kit is a basic human kit, with a few added items such as those mentioned above. Also added Chlor Tripolon this year after one dog had an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

cabelas sells a medical stapling kit, that is the equivelant to stiches except apparently preferable for use on lacerations to the skull (i found this out the hard way, even though the e.r. doctor didnt use the cabelas brand. Good for k-9's or people, not to expensive either. Seems like it would be alot easier for use on a dog where you might have a hard time getting it to stay still, than sutures?

quick fix for nails that you cut to short is corn starch

The incident this morning was Zena tearing one of her nails out when she jumped off the back steps. Normally I would have used corn starch but it was spraying blood. We stopped the bleeding by applying pressure to her leg and then I bandaged it up with thick eye patches to pad the nail that was sticking straight up and only attached by a bit of skin.
    Took her to the vet to get the nail removed completely but we could have dealt with it mainly ourselves had I had some Kwik Stop or a caustic pencil of some sort on hand. A good cleaning, yank on the nail, kwik stop and some antibiotics would have done the job.
    Growing up on a farm we always had this stuff readily available in our barn first aid box but I never even thought to add it to our doggy one.
    Thanks for the info on where to purchase as I've never seen it in the average pet store. We live near the Mill Store so I'll head over there this week. If I can't find it maybe I can convince my friend who manages a vet hospital to order me some.
    Hey Doug ... thankfully we did have some elastic bandages (vet wrap) in there. They came in mighty handy as did the thick eye patches. I buy the eye patches in large quantities because they work really well to build up padding if it's needed for things such as this or if someone gets something stuck in them and it needs to be padded and wrapped to limit movement of the object.
    Is flagyl available from the vet or over the counter? That is something I don't have in there either.
    Thanks!
    Sherry
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)