Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Crossbow For the Beginner

Re: Best Crossbow For the Beginner

Cariboobill- no x-bow is faster than the speed of sound. And any animal can move even at 10 yards. You may still hit the animal at 10 yds but maybe not where you where aiming. Wounded critter. Shoot when the animal is relaxed.

Bow Walker Guest

Simple answer to the OPer's question would be a crossbow like the one pictured in post #15 (Big jer). Not a lot can go wrong with one like that. Plus, it'll last you a lifetime, if you take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Cariboobill- no x-bow is faster than the speed of sound. And any animal can move even at 10 yards. You may still hit the animal at 10 yds but maybe not where you where aiming. Wounded critter. Shoot when the animal is relaxed.

not being a Xbow expert, but I've heard great stuff about Excaliber bows. As far as model, look at what makes the more inexpensive versions cheaper then the top of the line model. If what seperates a $1200 bow from a $750 bow is 30 or 40 FPS, forget it, get the cheaper bow.

And to comment on a couple posts above, listen to Onesock, he is 100% correct. I have it on video of a friend shooting at a whitetail with a compound bow at around 12-15 yards. It nearly turns end for end in a few camera frames. That incident totally schooled me on what a deer is capable of and how quick it can react. Key point, no bow is 100% quiet, no arrow travels faster then the speed of sound, and under the some circumstances, deer will react to the shot of a bow.

I'm leaning towards Excalibur, maybe the Ibex. I'll have to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I see you are in Chemanius... next time you are down to Vicotira come on over and shoot the Maximus Bonesplitter! Excellent value for money, fast, accurate, and very nicely equipped with scope, rail, bolts, quiver, the whole nine yards and less than an Excaliber bare bow! Oh yeah... FIVE YEAR WARRANTY.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    not being a Xbow expert, but I've heard great stuff about Excaliber bows. As far as model, look at what makes the more inexpensive versions cheaper then the top of the line model. If what seperates a $1200 bow from a $750 bow is 30 or 40 FPS, forget it, get the cheaper bow.

And to comment on a couple posts above, listen to Onesock, he is 100% correct. I have it on video of a friend shooting at a whitetail with a compound bow at around 12-15 yards. It nearly turns end for end in a few camera frames. That incident totally schooled me on what a deer is capable of and how quick it can react. Key point, no bow is 100% quiet, no arrow travels faster then the speed of sound, and under the some circumstances, deer will react to the shot of a bow.
    Well, don't listen to Onesock all the time...(his nicname should be squirrel, he's always chirpin...Sorry Kirk, just had to say it.) But the lesson learned watching how fast an animal can turn is exactly the reason so many real bowhunters on here are not a fan of long shots. So much can happen between the moment of release and the moment of impact.

JT...........up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    JT...........up yours.
    I didn't want you to forget about me while you're away for a month.

Oh yeah he is giving us a break for a month this year !! Now if he would only take 00Buck with him the rest us us could make peace and solve all the problems in the world!!! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Well, don't listen to Onesock all the time...(his nicname should be squirrel, he's always chirpin...Sorry Kirk, just had to say it.) But the lesson learned watching how fast an animal can turn is exactly the reason so many real bowhunters on here are not a fan of long shots. So much can happen between the moment of release and the moment of impact.
    Until a deer/bear/elk or any big game animal actually 'flinches' enough to cause a miss (or a poor hit = wounded animal) the newer bow hunters just will not truly believe the speed with which these animals can move and/or react.

Unfortunately, they've got to experience it first hand to willfully limit themselves in range regarding shots attempted or taken.