Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Deer home on a plane?

Bringing Deer home on a plane?

I want to go hunt with some friends in Alberta next year and was woundering how hard it is to bring your deer home on a plane?I am thinking of taking west jet

2. Site Sponsor

stitch Guest

Re: Bringing Deer home on a plane?

I had deer shipped out from Nova Scotia on a plane. I had it butchered and wrapped in nova scotia...packed and sent on the plane.

It shouldn't pose a problem as long as it's not packed in dry ice. Dry ice is condsidered dangerous goods, and must be declared and packed appropriately.

I have traveled by air with frozen meat ( cut and wrapped in a regular coleman, no ice) in a cooler before. It was no big deal, just be ready to be dinged a few dollars because of the weight. Make sure you tape your cooler shut. Don't want your venison scattered all over the ramp

If you wanna save a few dollars you can do what I have done. Wait until the weather drops well below zero...and get your buddies to pack up the meat in a cooler and ship it on a bus. It stays well below freezing in the cargo hold and assuming you can pick it up on the day it arrives in Abby you should be fine.

I have shipped game meat out from MB many times this way.

I just packed it in two coolers, taped it all tight and took it as extra baggage. Easy no hassle just a few bucks... no pun intended.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Just buy it a seat. Are you trying to change the gene pool
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I just packed it in two coolers, taped it all tight and took it as extra baggage. Easy no hassle just a few bucks... no pun intended.
    Hermit.....how much "extra baggage" fees was it for 2 coolers? I always used the bus as I assumed it would be fairly pricey?

In 2007 I brought back a 170" muley via Westjet coming out of Calgary. I had it wedged into one of those Rubbermaid containers with the gray snap lids.

The screener had a good laugh and called his friends over to look at the antler's image on the computer monitor.

I didn't bring any meat and the outfitter brought my cape to me frozen at Christmas.

As long as it's frozen and in a cooler you'll just have to pay the freight. Check their website tho as some airlines
    do not allow 'bounty' which would include antlers and meat.

We were all held up in Dawson Creek this fall on the flight back to YVR when a sheep hunter's luggage was screened and he had a few frozen sheep roasts in his duffel. It was taken away as Central Mountain Air doesn't allow it. Sucked to be him.

You can ship meat frozen on Greyhound. I had a ram sent down from Ft. St. John that way. Everything was still nicely frozen. Don't recall the fare.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    was woundering how hard it is to bring your dear home on a plane?
    Time for the long distance internet relationship to turn into something closer to home?

My only experiance with shipping meat was years ago when my dad shot a buck in the Cariboo, took it to the butcher there, and had them send the meat gayhound to the island. Four days evenings waiting at the depot for the bus to arrive (after hours) to pick it up all because the butcher kept saying he was sending it "today", for four days in a row
    Pretend hunter.